Finally, pictures of the Fabulous Four Coop w/ Heat and A/C

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4CHICKSforMays, Mar 21, 2013.

1. 4CHICKSforMays

4CHICKSforMays Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    COLORADO
  2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Does their run have heat and AC, too? If not, are you worried about the temperature extremes between indoors and outdoors?

3. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    well done looks really good!

4. 4CHICKSforMays

Mar 16, 2013
    COLORADO
    It doesn't, it's just screened. Despite what some may think, chickens are smart! They will not stay where it is too hot or too cold. Even with the small door open n a cold day, the coop stays about 68-70 degrees. They come out for a little while until they get chilly. In the summer, I will keep the indoors at a comfortable temp just in case it's too hot outside, they will adjust as needed. The aluminum roof will serve as heat from the sun on a chilly day, but may make it too hot on a very hot summer day.

5. 4CHICKSforMays

Mar 16, 2013
    COLORADO
    Oh and the coop gets up to about 80 degrees with the doors closed, about 75 overnight.

6. 4CHICKSforMays

Mar 16, 2013
    COLORADO
    Thanks Joey, it was fun. I'm thinking about getting a 6 ft barbed wire fence on the outside of the split rail fence so that they can roam their yard freely during the spring and summer days ahead without the worry of predators.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Have you always raised chickens in AC and heated coops?

8. 4CHICKSforMays

Mar 16, 2013
    COLORADO
    No, this will be the first year I'm trying it. Just trying to keep the temps regulated. Besides, the coop was a conversion from my dog's house. I bought it with heat and air for my Dane, but she hates it. She'd rather stay inside with us...crybaby! The girls told her thank you very much! Lol

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  9. 4CHICKSforMays

Mar 16, 2013
    COLORADO
    The Girls are enjoying that Air conditioning because Colorado has been scorching lately!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by