Finally! Picutes of my flock

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by plester01, Dec 2, 2007.

1. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    I finally got a camera, here is some of my flock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    cool picturs nice lookin group. you trust that chicken wire?. i have had some bad luck with it here i had to go to chainlink because of dogs.

3. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    So far so good with the chicken wire. I have not lost any yet. Lost a few eggs in the summer to snakes though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  4. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Nice flock of birds you have. That looks like a very nice mix! What kinds are they?

6. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I love your group! It reminds me of the gang at my house!

7. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    I have 5 Silkies:

2 are Roos, 3 are hens , all are bearded except one girl

3 Milie Fluers, 1 Roo and 2 hens

2 Seabrights, 1 silver, 1 gold

2 Cochins, I think one is a Frizzle Cochin (not sure)

I have never owned Cochins before so I am not sure what kind they are but one is kinda frizzly or silkie looking and the other just has regular looking feathers.

So I have a total of 12 chickens, 3 being Roosters the rest hens. I know that I need more hens and I am working on that.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    First and second pictures...I have a couple of suggestions. The chicken wire isn't really safe. If I were you I would get a couple of rolls of hardware cloth to go over the chicken wire, even if it's just like 3 feet up. Second I can see a gap under the wood. A black snake can easily make a meal out of a banty chicken and baby standards. A 4' snake got my 5 week old RIR this spring and he was bigger than a silkie.

You have very nice looking flock!

9. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Why can't I have a nice flock like yours???

Nice combination of chickens!

Oh and to the chicken wire; I think it's safe if it is well-stapled. There's this plastic chicken wire that is said to be better, but I think your chicken wire will do just fine. Hardware cloth is good, too.

Hmmmm.....about the snakes.........do they attack at night? We don't have snakes here............if they do, you can staple some old rice sacks together and use it as some kind of curtain or cover for the chicken wire. In the morning, you can remove the sack cover and put it back again at night. This will also help warm your coop.

Good luck with those chickens!

10. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    The gap that you see is caused by my neighbors guinnies they scratch under there to try to get my guys food because their owner does not feed them. Every day I put the firt back in the hole. I do need to fix that somehow though. We have snamkes in the spring and summer. But we also have cyotes and racoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by