Finally scored some free materials. (My roof idea, anygood?)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fpscabs, Mar 3, 2009.

1. fpscabs

fpscabs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    I knew if I held out long enough I would find my floor and roof material. Our son's former FRC robotic's classroom is being torn down and the teacher and the class went over to salvage what they could at class tonight. Since I am a mentor for them, I was able to find some 5/8's plywood, a 1" thick table top with a plastic laminate (do I see a floor for the hen house), and some other odds and ends that I could have. Not to mention all the scrap hardwood I was able to load last fall.

While the table top is very heavy, I couldn't pass on having that nice plastic cover. It should be able to be hosed off or at least brushed with ease.

Boys and girl had a blast getting to knock holes in walls and just making a mess. It is amazing how much fun demo work looks when you don't have to do for work. This is the same tech building I had back in the late 70's as my wood shop, metal shop electronics (old school style) and autoshop. Since all those 'tech' classes are no longer offered, all the old materials had been stored in the building. Actually found a spool of circuit wire dated 1964.

Now, I can get the hen house part finished and then put on the other roof.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wonderful!

Looks like a great job you are doing there!

3. fpscabs

fpscabs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    I do not know if this will work, but I made the roof like an ice chest. My thought are that if I can cut down on the sun heating up the hen house, it should be cooler. I have put a full lenght slot vent on the high side and will have hardware cloth windows on all sides.

On the roof I have a base that sits on top of the uprights.
    [​IMG]

On top of that, I put a 2x4 box frame which I will fill with insulation.
    [​IMG]

On top of the 2x4s I am putting an oversized piece of plywood for shade and rain protection. (yes, I know it doesn't rain in California, but when it does, it can pour.)

[​IMG]

4. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Good job. Looks like it will provide shade and drain water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by