1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally started building new coop - Will be adding progress photos.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PartridgeRckgal, Feb 23, 2011.

1. PartridgeRckgal

PartridgeRckgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Hello,
    I am new to the BYC forum. We have been raising chickens for years, but just recently started construction our our new coop. Our old coop has been around for a long time so this is a much needed upgrade. Any advice would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. PartridgeRckgal

Feb 22, 2011
    Since I am a new member, I cannot post a link or photo of my new coop progress. You can see some photos on my page if you are interested. Thanks!

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Can't wait to see your project.

4. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm a newby also but your still way ahead of me. I don't even have my birds yet as we are STILL working on the coop. I had no idea there was so much to learn about ie. disease, housing, predators etc. This forum is very informative and FUN![​IMG] Keep us posted on your progress.

5. PartridgeRckgal

Feb 22, 2011
    Thanks Gallo! You can see a few pics on my BYC page until I am able to post them in the forum [​IMG]

6. PartridgeRckgal

Feb 22, 2011
    Hi Chickadee! Welcome to you as well. What type of birds are you getting? This forum is great! I have been watching and reading for a while but decide to join so I can participate as well [​IMG]

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:I just saw that work-around for posting pics. I like what I see so far! Keep us updated. [​IMG]

8. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:OMG! I looked at your page and your rooster is GORGEOUS [​IMG] !! Is that a RIR?

Good luck with your construction. I hope its not to late to mention this, but the posts for your new wall or fence are only about a foot from that privacy fence. I forsee mess inbetween those two which you won't be able to get back there and clean. Unless you are thin with a very thin rake. It could get overgrown with weeds and/or mucky and swampy if you can't get to it.

9. arlew0127

arlew0127 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    Wilmington
    Please Post Pics Asap!!! :d

10. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks good so far! When we were getting ready to build our coop, I spent hours on the "Coop Designs" section of this site, looking at peoples' plans, reading their experiences, rationales, etc. If you haven't already done that, it's incredibly helpful. Some people have "what I would've done if I knew then what I know now" and other "mistakes" they made, which is sometimes even better than reading about the successes. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by