Finally starting my coop building - going up FAST!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NickyPick, Mar 21, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    My chicks are coming 4 weeks old soon and we're FINALLY starting to get the coop built!!! Hopefully it won't take more than a week, because these kids are getting ready to go outside as the brooder is starting to get crowded.

We've decided to put the coop as an extension on the side of the barn. It will be 8X8 and the door into it will come from inside the horse stall that adjoins it, since we already had an outside door for that stall.

[​IMG]

The run will wrap around the barn to the far edge of the grass area. Got to figure out how to stretch a top around the tree.
    [​IMG]

Hope the pictures come out. trying something new.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. GeneJordan

GeneJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Arnaudville, La
    keep us posted... please

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I know what you mean about finally! I also just got my coop started with 4 wk old chicks in my brooder. I think we both work best under pressure, eh? Your structure is looking very good and seems that you may not need a great deal to get it chicken-ready. I hope not, anyway! Good luck!

4. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Migh I suggest cutting the tree down and use it as fire wood. If it gets as windy as it get here all your hard work will be down the drain in less than a year...the branches would make good perches.

5. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Two of my chicks are 9 weeks old and we just started ours yesterday! I'm ready for them to be out of the house and I think they are too. [​IMG] Looks like you are starting with a great structure!

6. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    The tree is a Chinese Tallow tree and is the only tree that the horses can't kill. It's survived many storms, including Hurricane Ike, so I'm not too worried about it. We will be cutting down the branch that curves toward the door since it's in the way.

So, today, Dad got the floor leveled and braced. Two walls are framed, but by then it was too dark to take pictures. I hate not getting to help with the build, but I work and he's retired and LEAPED onto this project. [​IMG] He's fixing my horse pen fences too, but I get to stain them with the carbolineum. I'm not sure if I got the easy work or not!?

The floor will be setting on these railway ties.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the actual floor.
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see what they've got done when I get home tomorrow! [​IMG]

7. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Are the pictures showing up for anyone else? I could have sworn they were up when I posted from home, but on my work computer, nothing shows.

8. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    No comments at all? [​IMG]

Anyway, a lot got done today. I expected to come home to wall frames, but wow!

[​IMG]

The pop door is 18"X18" - should be big enough for the Brahma's, I would think.

[​IMG]

Here's the people door, which is inside a horse stall.

[​IMG]

9. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Looks like Dad is doing a great job. Keep up the good work! [​IMG]

10. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Looks great so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by