Finally! SUCCESS!!!! I have chicks! ****PICS added-1 day old****

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by akpeeps, Sep 17, 2010.

1. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Fourth times a charm...I have finally managed to hatch 4 Lavender Orpingtons! I've been tweaking my incubation techniques all summer trying to have a successful hatch. I started with six eggs, one quit after day 7 and one made it to lockdown but didn't hatch and had an unabsorbed yolk sac. Of the other four, two pipped yesterday (day 20) with one hatching last night and the other this morning. The other two hatched this afternoon.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Yeah for you!!! congrats [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ive got chicken fever

ive got chicken fever Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Yay! I have tried twice now and on the first try had one hatch and I am on day 20 now of the second hatch and don't think anything will happen. [​IMG] But maybe I will have luck next time! It is hard to do everything just right. Persistance, I can do it! [​IMG]

What did you hatch?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Woo hoooooo! And I bet they're ADORABLE! Lavender Orps! Those are SO pretty. Congrats!

I feel very lucky that I've had something hatch from all 3 of the hatches I've attempted. I'm so new at this that I am happy to get ONE to hatch, but I've had 5 out of 7 survive my first hatch, and 3 of 7 for my second and third hatches.

Right now I've got 7 more eggs in an incubator and 6 are developing. [​IMG] Hatch date is Sept 24.

5. akpeeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I was really starting to get discouraged since on the last two tries I've had a couple make it to lockdown then die because they didn't absorb the yolk sac. I did a dry hatch this time and was finally able to buy the auto turner for my Brinsea. I think that made a huge difference. I have six more LO eggs in from another BYC member. I'm doing everything the same and will candle on Monday. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The PO screwed up with these. They arrived in Anchorage last Friday and they didn't send them out here to our branch. They sat in the warehouse in Anchorage all weekend. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. akpeeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Quote:They are! Still drying off so I'll leave them in the incubator until tomorrow morning. I've never hatched anything other than Silkies. I'll get some pics tomorrow when they're all fluffed.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Congrats!! Will be waiting to see pics!

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:X2

9. akpeeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Okay, my bad these are project LO's...I have 3 black and 1 that is blue or splash. Anyway, I finally got a start for my breeding program. Hoping they aren't all boys,which would be my luck. Six more in the incubator from another BYC member who has birds from Hinkjc. First candling on Monday. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pics coming shortly. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Hooray for you!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hatching can so stressful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by