Finally... the babies are growing up!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KYChixMama, May 1, 2011.

1. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I'll post pics tomorrow, but here's the developments at our farm this weekend...

The 6 Light Brahma (3 pullets, 3 roos) have joined the main flock. They stick together like glue but are LOVING the free ranging.

The Silkie and EE babies have begun outside adventures (supervised) and their cage has moved into the coop to begin acclimating to the grown ups. I'm taking them a little slower because they're SOOO much smaller than everyone else. My Silkies roo's can be bullies sometimes.

Built a grow pen for the meaties and moved them outside. They immediately began flapping their wings and stretching - definitely MUCH happier with the added space. Now to teach them to use the chicken nipple waterer and build a PVC feeder tomorrow.

Mama Silkie has begun taking her babies out of the brooder, but confined them to the horse stall. Today she took them outside the barn and introduced them to bugs! Spicy Cheeto (Silkie Roo) made the mistake of trying to court her and is now missing several feathers from his topknot.

Sooo.... finally all of my brooders are empty and tomorrow I can clean, sanitize, and put everything up (for now). [​IMG]

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I'm always so sad when I have to move my babies outside! [​IMG]

ScissorChick

3. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:Normally I am too, but they've been so cramped inside the barn and the weather has been gorgeous (when it's not been raining) that it's a relief to let them out. All the babies are so happy - it's fun to watch. No one's bothering them (I was worried they would) instead all the adults have been visiting each group to check out what kind of treats they have. No fighting or bullying, as of yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by