FINALLY! The chickens are in the coop! *More pics post #8*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jun 28, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My 6 chickens are now almost 17 weeks old and FINALLY they moved into their new coop! Here are some pics of their new home:
    A pic of the nest boxes and the feeder hanging right near it.
    [​IMG]

Window's above the nest boxes.
    [​IMG]

The window's facing their run and the chicken pop door.
    [​IMG]

Their roost which is 30 inches from the floor. Do you think thats too high? (we still have to install the poop board)
    [​IMG]

Omelet and Shelly sitting on the new roost.
    [​IMG]

I will get somemore pics tommorrow along with pics of the outside. We painted the walls and the ceiling in the coop and then bought some pink table clothes for the walls (after all it is the ladies room!) , and some green table clothes for the wall with the roost. I can't wait for eggs!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    You have created a very lovely home for your new girls.

I am wondering about the plastic tables cloths on the walls. It looks nice, but I would worry that pests such as lice and mites may stow up behind the plastic. Also your birds will peck it off and eat it.

3. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Your coop looks really nice! 30" is probably fine, my big Brahma girls can get up on my lower roost - which is about that high - and as young birds they will have no trouble. As they get older and heavier, it is a little more of a challenge, and getting down from a high roost can be a little challenging for them, too, so make sure they have a soft landing, otherwise they can hurt their feet. But I think 30" will work just fine. If there's a poop board below, they will probably use that slightly lower platform to hop down and up, too. I think the tablecloths are ok; they will supposedly pick at insulation, but my neighbor used plastic over her insulation, and they don't bother it at all, and this is much the same. Only prettier. A painted surface is easier to clean, and maybe you'll put up some interior walls at some point, but this works. Nice job.
    eta: Or, actually, it looks like you have interior walls already. I think what you'll find is that it's a lot easier to wipe the splattered poop etc off a solid wall painted with a slick enamel because it's just amazing how much of a mess these chickens can make. Amazing!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Great job and I love the curtains!

5. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I love that coop! Very pretty!!!

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:I thought the same thing here. I don't see the table cloths on the wall lasting too long. But other than that it is an nice home for your girls.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are concerned about the roost heigth, put up a ladder till they get comfortable with and a little stronger

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Thank you for your input guys!

You guys were right about the table cloths. The chickens started pecking at them. I decided to take part of them down. They are still on the walls but the chickens can't reach them now.

Here are some pics of the coop that I took yesterday...
    The front of the coop. (we still have to make doors for the nest boxes so we can gather eggs from outside)
    [​IMG]
    A sign we made that hangs on the door of the coop...
    [​IMG]

The run...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the storage area of the coop where we will store the chicken feed ect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The loft...
    [​IMG]

The door from the storage area to the chicken area...
    [​IMG]

The roost...
    [​IMG]

A sign we made that hangs above the roost ...
    [​IMG]

The nest boxes...
    [​IMG]
    Windows above boxes...
    [​IMG]

The wall that faces the run...
    [​IMG]

If you are wondering why there are gatorade bottles in the windows in some of the pics, it is because the chickens kept jumping on the window sill. But we put up some hardware cloth there last night.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by