Finally took the plunge! However one of my new chicks is lame.

HankHarpoon

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Hello everyone! I finally took the plunge and bought 3 chicks who are happily exploring their new home in my garage whilst I build them a coop. Quick question though, one of the three has a lame leg, it just hangs here almost upside down (claw up). She seems to be able to hop around alright though and is feeding herself. I have put in a wooden path from under the light to the food and water that she uses. However I am trying to figure out what she has, the person at the farm supply store said it was not a break, which seems right, and that its just something that happens if there is too slick a surface when they hatch and "one leg just gets splayed out like that". Anyone have any experience here? Should I be doing more? Any Ideas what it could be?

Hello everyone! I finally took the plunge and bought 3 chicks who are happily exploring their new home in my garage whilst I build them a coop. Quick question though, one of the three has a lame leg, it just hangs here almost upside down (claw up). She seems to be able to hop around alright though and is feeding herself. I have put in a wooden path from under the light to the food and water that she uses. However I am trying to figure out what she has, the person at the farm supply store said it was not a break, which seems right, and that its just something that happens if there is too slick a surface when they hatch and "one leg just gets splayed out like that". Anyone have any experience here? Should I be doing more? Any Ideas what it could be?

Do a search for splayed leg. If the chick isn't too old you may be able to correct it.
smile.png

I just read in another thread someone had a chick with toes curled under and someone suggested they feed smashed peeled hardboiled egg and she reported some improvement...im no expert but it couldnt hurt to try.

Back
Top Bottom