Finally took the plunge....SALTWATER

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, Oct 31, 2010.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well after years of having freshwater fish of all shapes and sizes I decided to take the leap. I have not had a freshwater tank setup in years but decided with winter coming and a lot of my outside animal activities slowing down I need something to keep me busy. Was at PETCO with a buddy last night, he bought a hamster heck if I know why. But I saw a delux 10 gallon tank kit for 65 bucks...had everything I needed but...Salt mix....Hydrometer.....Crushed coral/rock substrate....and water additives. I bought everything and got the tank setup last night. I will get some pics of it up here soon. Next step is going to add Live rock and maybe a few small hermit crabs for cleaners. I have the salinity balanced out and have some PH buffer and another additive that restores biological minerals in the water. I've heard real horror storeis how saltwater shouldn't be done in anything less than a 30 gallon...but I'm going to give this a try. Doubt I will have any corals but maybe down the line I'll add a few.
    [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congrats! Just make sure to let it set until the good bacteria pick up. [​IMG] I've got a 55 gallon salt tank, and I love it! Just add a few fish, because they do like their space, [​IMG]. I've even had seahorses! They are just the best, but can be quite tricky to keep. Now, I've just got common fish, but love them all! Have fun!

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    After doing salt tanks for over 10 years, I finally sold the last of my 3 tanks. Although it's a beautiful hobby, it's expensive.

Are you going for the color of it all? Or just for the fish? Because, in a 10 gal. you could go for all kinds of color and use diff. corals, mushrooms, etc. and not worry about pollutants in the water caused by fish. In a coral tank like that, a simple little mandarin goby would make for quite a character peeking in and out of his hiding places-plus they like to be solitary anyway. However, if it's the fish you're looking at getting, you really should go for a larger tank. Smaller tanks are much more difficult to balance especially with fish in them.

Anyway, BEST OF LUCK to you! It is truly an amazing hobby once you get it where you want it to be [​IMG]

4. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I'm just doing it to have a few fish..clowns more than likely...maybe a few hardy corals that don't require and insane light. And then an annenome or something along those lines. I will have Live rock and cleanup crew as well. I'm thinking Maybe A clown...firefish...and chromis or something like that.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Whatever you do, DO NOT get damsels! The only species I'd recommend is the Yellowtail Damsel. They are the most docile compared to the others I have encountered. But definitely get clowns and firefish [​IMG]

6. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    How possible do you think it would be to have 2 clowns and 1 firefish in a 10 gal setup? What fish should I get in the beginning to test out the tank..damsels are only 5 bucks...hard to beat that for a tester [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I've found the Occelaris Clownfish (False Percula) are pretty hardy. I think a pair and 1 firefish would do ok in a ten gallon just as long as the filtration is decent. But if you plan to have live rock in there that will aid in the biological filtration also. I would start out with just the clowns until the system has been running for a couple months, then add the firefish. Something I've noticed about the firefish though is that their personalities differ between individuals. I have 2; both are generally shy but one is very skittish. Main thing is to make sure it has a safe hiding place so it feels secure. And trust me about the damsels, they may be cheap but their aggression isn't worth it [​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Good luck. Never took the saltwater plunge. I have a 75 gallon with two redbelly piranhas in it. Had the chance awhile back to buy a 75 with live rock and fish with whole setup for like 1000 I think was the offer. Honestly I wish I would have taken it. Would have cost me way more to set everything up on my own.

9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh Wow, I've ALWAYS wanted to do a salt tank but like you I've heard all the horror stories about how hard it is to maintain and the costs involved and I'm afraid to get into it. I do have a lovely fresh tank with fish that have lived with us for many, many years but still.....it would be nice to have all those colorful fish and corals.

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Saltwater is easy. All the bad storys come from people that over stock there tanks. As long as you keep it to about 1 small fish for every 10 gallons it all just works.

My opinion is to run a under gravel filter only 24/7 an run a skimmer once a week. Everything else is a waste of money. Stick with good science an stay away from all the gadgets.

Lighting a 10 gallon is not that bad. Its when you start getting bigger, deeper tanks that it gets pricey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by