1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally took the "Water Gun" to my aggressive rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatinAL, Jul 29, 2007.

1. KatinAL

KatinAL New Egg

May 29, 2007
    I have been working for several months on my aggressive rooster doing all the excellent suggestions I have read here.

I was at my whits end with Tony Toloula, my Buff Org. rooster. I decided to squirt him with a water gun twice a day when I came in the coop. I soaked him good the first couple of times and he would run away and go get in the sleeping quarters.

Now all I have to do is walk in with "the gun" and he goes the opposite way. I hope it keeps working because I would hate to have to give him away.

-KatinAL

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Actually that's how I trained my goats to stay out of the coop I'd just squirt them with the hose, not on full blast or anything. It's nicer then smacking them and they learn fast. If they eve think of going in the coop when I'm around, I just ask "do I need to get the hose?" and they run off. Goats loath water even more the chickens do.

Anyway, hope it works out with your roo.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The watering thing seems to work well. I've dunked (not over his head, of course) my roo in the pool and he goes running the other way. I've only done it a few times because I prefer to kill him with kindness! [​IMG]

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I squirt my mean guy with the water hose when he looks at me wrong. I may have been to nice to him resently, because he's acting like he's the boss. Yeah right! I have to get him to understand that I am the queen of the coop and he is just a cocky lil bird that I can smack around. [​IMG] Just kidding. Squirting him with water does work though.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  5. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I give my girls a quick squirt on their hinders with the squirt bottle when they get in my garden... lately all I've had to do is head toward them with the bottle in hand and they get out of my garden fast and usually stay out all day.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This method also works with cats.
    None of mine will jump on the furniture anymore.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by