Finally two eggs! Now if big sister can teach little sister...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bzbrown, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

WHAT THE NEST BOX IS FOR!

Silly girl. I recently added about 4 inches pine shaving to the bottom of the coop (small coop, no poop boards etc). It seems the smaller hen has found her laying powers, but heck, the floor is just as comfy as that nest box now. So why not right? Problem is eggs "sink" to the bottom of the shaving pretty quick. I barely noticed todays, and forced myself to "dig" around barehanded through the shavings to the wood floor to make sure there was no more... Gross. The big hen is laying in the nest box so I assume putting dummy eggs in thee would be pointless since she's not getting that hint?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi bzbrown,

If it were me (since I have fake eggs) I would put an egg in each nest box. What's to loose? If you don't have fake eggs---then---hmmm alternate plan B. (old golf balls) All those golfcourses out there, Palm Springs...etc. Lol -- (I used to live in Desert Hot Springs--- so beautiful with the mountains)

Hope she gets the hint...and you don't have to search for the eggs.... Maybe a nest box at floor level?

Good luck!

3. yallwatchthis

yallwatchthis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    pensacola
    ive been picking the eggs off the floor and putting them in the boxes, and leaving them there till the next day. it has worked for me so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by