Finally winning them over

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AtHomeDaddy, Sep 7, 2009.

1. AtHomeDaddy

AtHomeDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We brought home a day old Ameracuna and a Buff Cochin chick about 2 months ago. From day one the Ameracuna has been really flighty and hard to catch, even in the brooder. The Buff Cochin is also harder than any of the other chicks I've ever hand raised, but not as bad as the Ameracuna.

2 weeks ago I finally moved the little ones out of the house and into a pen in the shed. Now, after 2 weeks there and lots of time free ranging in the yard, I finally have them staying overnight in my big coop with my only mature hen, a year old Red Sex Link. Everybody seems to be getting along fine and dandy.

A big bonus is that the Ameracuna and Buff Cochin seem to have settled down a lot this week. For the first time ever they came running to me when I walked out with their food this morning.

These girls are supposed to be my kids pets, and now, hopefully the kids will actually be able to touch them soon. But I still can't get the birds to cooperate for a decent picture!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    When you do get them, constant attention seems to help this alot. Not just picking them up for 2-3 mins and letting the go. Some of my roosters would sit on my shoulder the whole time while im feeding. And yes some birds are just more flighty then others. And good luck on the pictures, I just dont see how people do it, in my case its just bad luck and a bad camera. lol.

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    We never did get the buff cochins to warm up to us. [​IMG]

For my kids, we'll try buff or white orpingtons next time.

4. AtHomeDaddy

AtHomeDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Our first chicks were Buff Orpingtons. And you are right, they warmed up to the kids immediately. I will probably hold out for more of them when it comes time to add a couple of more birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by