Finally witnessed the deed!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Renee572, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    My BA has been laying for 3 1/2 weeks now. While I knew it was her for sure because no one else was quite developed and she was the only one squatting I always missed her actually laying. I'd usually go out right before and right after. I went out to check on them a bit ago and found the other 4 hanging out by the food but my BA Penguin was in her usual laying corner (if she's gonna refuse the nest boxes I'm glad she settled on a secluded corner). She was just sitting and the others weren't bothering her so I decided to hang out a while. After a bit she sort of stood up and puffed herself up real big. She looked hilarious I had to take a pic but I felt bad at the same time. It didn't take her long and there was a beautiful egg under her! [​IMG] [​IMG] She is such a calm chicken, she didn't even make a sound while laying it. She missed laying Friday and Saturday which I was surprised because she has only miss a few days since starting and never 2 in a row but I wondered if she'd lay a bigger egg this time. I didn't weigh her first 2 eggs for lack of food scale but her 3rd one was 25g, her egg on Thursday was 34g and today's was 40g! Yay for bigger eggs. Now waiting on my BR who just started squatting 3 days ago. Can't wait. I am so obsessed with my girls! Who would have thought I'd LOVE my chickens!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Aw. She's so cute!

3. PluckyClucker99

PluckyClucker99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Congrats. Still waiting for 3 of my BRs to start laying (they are about 15 weeks), and it's killing me! Hopefully only about another month or two, but I don't know for sure. When did she start laying?

4. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    Thanks, I think she's cute too! She started laying at 18 weeks and has been awesome since she started. She hasn't figured out the nest boxes but I'm okay with that. I am waiting on 2 BRs also, an EE and a RIR. 1 of the BRs is pretty close, she's big and red comb/wattles, and she started squatting 3 days ago. She's 21 weeks though, I'm not sure what the average age for BRs to lay but I'd say you definitely have at least a month longer. The wait is killing me too but each day gets us closer! :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Look at that, it's still wet!

I've been ruthlessly stalking the coop lately (somewhat pathetic the amount of time I spend in there-but I'm fascinated with watching their behaviors) due to pullets starting to lay, old hens needing assessment before winter and an integration 5 days ago.

6. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    I've been stalking my girls too. They are probably sick of seeing me and of me bothering them with "squat checks". I've been trying to watch mine to figure out the pecking order. I'm pretty sure I know who's at the top and bottom but I have no idea about in between. For the most part it seems like my girls get along pretty well, so far no major drama between them. But I find them fascinating to watch too.

And yes the egg was still wet although I have read everyone say that when they get a just laid egg it's warm. Maybe it has something to do with living in AZ and everything being hot but it didn't feel any warmer than a room temperature egg.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes it's harder to tell when it's hot out....but man it sure is nice in the middle of winter to pick up a fresh laid egg in your bare hand.

8. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    Lol aart. I'm not sure an AZ winter would make a difference but I guess we will find out!

9. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Start feeding her some oatmeal! I gave my girls oatmeal with fruit like apples and sometimes bananas every morning. They loved it. I would even mix it with yogurt sometimes. It gets messy but they clean it up! That was their treat and someone told me it helps promote more and bigger eggs.

10. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    I've tried oatmeal and yogurts and mine don't really bother with it. If I feed the oatmeal flakes they eat it that way... is that bad to feed them without it being cooked?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by