Finally won my hubbie over and created a new chicken fan!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by write2caroline, Jan 22, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    After months of him thinking I was nuts and hearing all the complaints about spending too much time with the chickens. Finally, they grew up and layed some eggs. So guess who is talking about more chicks this spring - and guess who has an opinion as to what breed. Same guy who built me a chicken run for xmas and a nest box for my birthday

He wants to get cuckoo Marans - nice ones from a breeder and not from a hatchery....And I am happy and amazed! I guess it proves that this whole chicken thing is sort of additive - like a potato chip - you can't just have one......

Caroline

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] That is great!

3. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Congrats!!![​IMG] I can totally relate!!! My girls have been faithfully laying since Dec and "Non-Chicken" Hubby has come to appreciate them since we haven't had to buy eggs ever since then. He even went along with the idea of getting more day old babies this spring to add to the flock:ya And he's letting me hatch out some silkies eggs although he TOTALLY doesn't see the "Purpose" in that breed at all![​IMG] It's all about the FLUFF...but how do I explain that to a man???[​IMG] Anywho...yesterday I put one of my roos on craigslist and someone wants him! So when our friends were over yesterday(we were all hanign out in our side yard with the chickens of course!(LOL) my girlfriends HUbby mentioned how cool my Giant Black Cochin Roo was and how he wanted to take him home and how he would NEVER sell him... Anywho...My Hubby chimes in with "Yeah..he's my "Favorite One!!! and that's the one she's selling!!!"[​IMG] Can you imagine..."he now has a "favorite"!!!(lol) [​IMG] My plan is working![​IMG] He has even offered to bring home a window that they got from one of their construction jobs(the people just upgraded their windows so this one was a leftover that no one needed) anywho...Hubby calls me and says..."I think I got a window for your chicken barn!" SWEEEET!!! Things are looking up![​IMG] Blessings,Keri

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Yeah it warms my heart how suddenly Andy is all about doing things for the chickens and when he is home he checks for eggs about a dozen times a day or whenever he hears egg song. Mine sometimes sing along when the neighbors hens start singing eggsong.

He is actually looking forward to seeing dark chocolate colored eggs and I am not even sure he knows what a cuckoo Marens looks like - He has been bent on having some since talking to our neighbor!

I am just happy he can come over to the "Chicken" side!!!! LOL
    Caroline

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I can relate to you. The chickens started as mine when I was talking about getting them this time last year. Soon after we had the chicks they became the family chicks. A couple of months ago my wife started suggesting ideas of expanding our flock this year. I started putting together a wish list. She looked at the Murry McMurray catalog when it came a couple of weeks ago. She completly shocked me and suggested that we order 25!!![​IMG]. I never expected this. I thought she would try to limit our expansion to 10 or less. I am now getting 25 instead of a few. [​IMG]

I am going to get a few free ones from a local feed store promotion in April. I was going to get all of them from feed stores (there is a lot to choose from in our area). However, I found a local breeder a few days ago that is taking orders for pullets. He will have MANY breeds available, even BLRW! [​IMG]. I will get a few of these and most of my other chicks from him.

6. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Well, y'all give me hope! We just got our first chicks this week, 11 silkies. My husband just looked at them and said "I thought you were getting chickens!" [​IMG] He's desperately trying to pretend he doesn't "get" them but I think he does and doesn't want to admit it. Maybe when they lay an egg. He better get used to them fast because I have 15 more coming in two weeks! And my incubator arrived yesterday so I want to try hatching too.

What did he think we were going to do when we bought 108 acres? Oh, yeah, I remember... ride dirt bikes. NOT!

7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] sounds like you've gotten addicted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by