1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FINALLY! :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DCMuffin, Sep 7, 2016.

1. DCMuffin

DCMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    After what seems like years and years, my girls have finally begun laying. So far, only two of the girls, but we're there!!

Anyway, two days ago, the girls were squawking up a storm and I got SO excited I nearly tripped halfway down to the coop [​IMG]. Sure enough, I got down there and found these.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one on the left is a normal sized egg - SOMEONE is an overachiever! LOL

Anyway....this morning, I went down to clean the roost and my Gerty, being the lovebug she is, hopped up in my lap, then off into one of the nesting buckets. She then allowed me the pleasure of seeing this.... :) We NOW know who the overachiever is [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How exciting! Congrats on your first eggs. [​IMG]

3. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    That's so exciting! Even more exciting that she let you get "up close and personal" while she was laying! Congratulations!!

4. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Thank you!!
    Of all my girls, she is my most loving and always has to be right with me when I am down there. She's the first to come running and she LOVES neck and tummy rubs. I wasn't sure if she would be okay with me just sitting there but clearly, she didn't mind a bit :).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  5. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Goodness gracious! Overachiever is an understatement!

Gerty's first egg, of normal size, you can see above. Today's egg, on the right (below), even bigger than the first! jeebus! LOL

[​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Double yolkers!
    Might want to add a lip to the nest so eggs don't roll out.

Had to LOL at the 'years and years'.......always cool to actually see egg laid and to video it is awesome.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    LOL! This is the first time having chickens in 20 years. I'd forgotten the excitement of the "first one", you know?

You can't see it in the video, but the buckets are actually tipped up just a tad in the front, and there is a lip right in the front that's almost one inch above so nothing will roll out :). We're safe! I'll be using one of the eggs this evening for the gliders so we'll see if it's a double yolker!!

8. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Well...the verdict is in! My daughter and I had egg sandwiches today and sure enough, both of Gerty's eggs were double yolkers :) And as a matter of fact, they were DELISH!

[​IMG]

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yum! Good job predicting it aart! [​IMG]

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pretty easy....pullet eggs that big are almost always double yolkers, it's pretty common.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by