1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Tonight I'm designing my coop. Yay! Finally!
    It will need to house 8 chickens *maybe more in the future?*. My chickens will need a run, since I won't be able to freerange them. We've been looking at tractor coops since we like the mobility, but I don't know if we can find one thats big enough, yet light enough to pull across the yard.
    The coop needs to be ENTIRELY predator proof. We have everything from hawks to snakes to coyotes here. We don't want to spend a lot, but we're not afraid to break out the wallet if need be.
    Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Or have stories/pictures of what they've done???
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
  3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:LOL... Good plan... Design it bigger because sure enough, you WILL have more...

Mine's sized for 25 birds, even though I only have 10.. [​IMG]

Tractor is pretty much out for that many birds, unless you're towing it with a riding mower..

Far as snakes go, they only go for the eggs. Hawks are easy, just have the run part covered... The harder part is coyotes, dogs and coons.

Good luck with all the planning and, hopefully, you're not like me and didn't start planning with 10 birds beside you in a crate. [​IMG]

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

We don't want to spend a lot, but we're not afraid to break out the wallet if need be.

I used Habitat for Humanity's ReStore for some of my supplies. It was a great way to recycle and help a charity at the same time.

In addition to using my leftovers from other projects, I also mentioned I was building a coop to all of my neighbors. Some offered scrap wood right away. Others I would ask if they had any...they weren't using. I also adjusted the design as I went along around what I ended up with.

I have my list of what I used, costs, and pictures on My BYC page if you want more info. My coop fits 4 to 6 chickens.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by