Finally!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by aggieterpkatie, Nov 4, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I've had my guineas for several months now, and they FINALLY roosted in the chicken coop last night! [​IMG] They'd been roosting in a maple tree in the yard. Guess they finally got cold enough! [​IMG]

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    That is good news - Congrats!

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Yeah! I hope they keep it up for you! [​IMG]

4. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:I think they heard you!! The little turds were back in the tree tonight. [​IMG]

5. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    [​IMG]

6. They will eventually come into the coop. It is getting cold. Put a night light in the coop so they can see the entrance in these winter dusk days. I have a night light in the barn and they come in and feed right before bed time.

Guineas just love to be the last ones in and sometimes they simply miss the boat.

7. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Guineas are just so weird! And weird in a good way I guess. They always keep me guessing. They hang around in and out of the coop ALL day! Then they decide to roost in the tree last night before it was even near dark. It was a good hour almost between when they roosted and when I shut the coop. [​IMG]

8. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Have you tried putting food in the coop at dusk? If they get used to coming inside the coop at bedtime, they might roost in there.

Good luck. Guineas have minds of their own, that's for sure!

9. cackler

cackler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    My 6 guineas have been going in and out of the coop for 5 months with the chickens without a hitch. Due to the extreme weather here we have had them shut up in the coop for 3 days. I thought I'd let them out late this afternoon.....bad decision. They didn't go in the coop tonight. And it's currently 1 degree out. They're in trees around the coop. No amount of coaxing convinced them it's nice and warm in the coop....like it has been every night before tonight. It's 1 degree out. I guess it could be negative 1. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by