FINALLY!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stef82, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Stef82

Stef82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Bucks County, Pa
    For a good month, our silkie was laying eggs, and all have been infertile. Since last week, she's been broody. She sat on her eggs for a week. She's laying maybe one egg every other day. She now has three. She will not nip at us, only at the other chickens who ever gets on her last nurve. While my husband and I cleaned the cage, she decided to get up and take a break. She ate, drank, and ran around. I checked on her eggs while she was away and saw TWO eggs with veins in them! WOOHOO! She recently laid an egg yesterday, so I didn't see much in that one, but I'll take two good eggs any day! I'm so proud of her!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Well done! You should mark the developing eggs with a non-toxic marker (I use an eye brow pencil) so you'll know which eggs are developing and you can remove the fresh ones.

3. Stef82

Jul 19, 2012
    Bucks County, Pa
    Will she keep laying eggs? I read somewhere that she will stop laying eggs. If she doesn't stop laying, then I will remove the fresh eggs and put them in the incubater.

4. Stef82

Jul 19, 2012
    Bucks County, Pa
    This picture is horrible because my phone camera sucks at taking pictures at night.... But this egg has some great veins going on inside :) I'd say maybe 6 days :)
    [​IMG]

Here's Momma.

[​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She's cute! My hens stop laying the moment they go broody. And don't start again until the weaned the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by