FINALLY

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TheSpiceGirls, Jan 17, 2013.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I have this one little chickie who has insisted on trying to sleep in a tree since mama kicked her to the curb months ago. The tree is inside a predator protected run but still, I don't need a chicken sleeping just under some welded wire, mire inches from raccoons and possums.

So every night I go out there and pluck her from the tree and put her inside the hen house. We went away for a few nights over the holiday and I knew she'd sleep up in the tree. And sure enough, there was evidence of raccoons trying to get to her all around the run.

Thankfully, the run held tight and she's fine.

Three nights ago, I went out with my headlamp and she wasn't in the tree and when I peeked inside the house, there she was. Hmmm. The next night, again, she was inside the house. Woo Hoo. And last night was the third night in a row that she was inside the house. WOOT WOOT!!!

I'm not quite ready to declare victory but three nights in a row is a very good sign. Just had to share with other chicken keepers who could appreciate how tough it can be to re-train a chicken even when it's for their own good.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That is a very good sign! Once she tried it, she figured out it wasn't so bad and the other chickens didn't throw her out. I hope this "putting her self to bed thing" becomes a permanent habit.

3. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I do know my Jersey Giant was pecking at her a bit. She pecked at the other two but they knew how to get out of her way. The Jersey Girl HAS to sleep next to a specific BO. And the other BO, has to be on her own roost bar. Which leaves just a few spots for the three youngsters. It's taken them a while to figure out their sleeping order but I believe they finally have.

And if everyone just goes into their right places, then all is right in the world.

I should also mention that the three young ones are just shy of 6 months and haven't started laying yet. But they are definitely maturing so I'm sure that has something to do w/ the drama.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Finally! Maybe the constant rustling of the coons at night frightened her enough to want to go inside.

5. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    And today AN EGG. Not from the one who's been sleeping in the tree but one of her sisters. They are all the same age so it won't be long till they all come into lay. I've had chickens for years and I still get so excited when that first egg comes along.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Me too. I am so proud of my pullet when they start laying, and with my flock of various breed, I like seeing the differences in egg shell color and texture.

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    UGH, I got little Poppy to sleep in the house for a whole week going in there on her own. I went out last night to collect eggs and was missing a hen. Looked up in the tree and there she was. She's a stubborn little thing.

Her sister just started laying this weekend and her other sister is squatting all over the place. I do think little Poppy is a week or two behind the other two who seemed to mature faster. So maybe she's just in a weird place as she matures.

8. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Maybe you could just cut down that highest branch?? So that if she insists on roosting in the tree, she'll still be out of reach?

9. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I did take down the highest branches. Now she's on the next level down. The other option would be to totally remove the tree. But I hate to do that as it provides lovely shade in the summer.

I think I'll continue to work with her. I think she's going through a confusing time as she comes into lay. And I also think that 6 hens in my hens house is one too many. I'd give anything to go back and get the next size larger house. But it is what it is. I had my run and fence built around the coop so getting it out of the back yard would be a real struggle.

And I'm not really interested in spending $$ on a new house only to get two more feet of roost space. Course, being able to have a poop board would be nice.

Oh well, I'm mostly just talking out loud because I know others here can relate to all we do for our hens and how these things can keep us up at night.

10. Oh I know what that is like i have had this problem before with last time we had chickens the rooster Monkey thought he was one so he slept ever night in the tree! and he was mean so it was hard to do anything about!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by