Finaly geting some midget white turkey chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silverfilly, Sep 13, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    WEll I am finaly geting some midget whites, im so excited. I know they are hatchery stock but Im hoping I can get a few good ones. They hve a 20 chick min so since I could not afford 20 turkey poults I got 10 midget whites and 10 more salmon favorels to add to my flock.

This will be my first turkeys so any advise would be helpfull, I am going to feed them the all poultry grouth feed ( cant rember the name, green bag from purina). Now anouther question, how long will these guys need to be brooded in the house before they can go outside? how long till they feather and how long before I can sex them?

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Every time we get baby turkeys (or ducks) by mail, a few of them end up dying within the first day or so. For example, I ordered 15 turkeys and now I only have 9 left (I did give 1 away to a friend though). It seems to help a little to give them Gro-Gel (available from most hatcheries such as Welp for $6.50 w/ free shipping I think). Anyway, good luck but try not to get too sad when some die. I've never had any mail-order chicks die, but the turkeys and ducks just seem more fragile.
    If it was in the middle of the summer, you could put them outside right away in a pen, but if the night-temp gets below 70 I think it's best to keep them warm w/ a light. Sometimes I put the light outside in their pen and that seems to work too. Once you get past the first week, the rest of what you have left at that point will probably survive and thrive! Also keep them out of the rain and wet-grass when they're little. When they're older, they seem fine even in the rain.

3. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    well I just got some bummer news, Texas Poultry called this am and said now the turkeys are not laying well so they only have hatchery choice, so i may or may not get my midget whites, m luck I wount. But o a brighter note it will be cool to wtch them grow and see what they turn into.

I can get midget whites, white hollands, BB bronze, BBwhites, Rio Grand or Eastern Wilds, Burbon reds, Black, Naragnassets, or ST bronze.

Anyone ever oreder the turkey assot before from texas poultry? what did you get?

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I haven't but wanted to suggest asking this on the turkey part of the forum. They might have more answers there for you.

I have never seen a midget white turkey but the name makes them sound so cute. [​IMG] Any midget turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by