Finaly Got That Sucker!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gpwelding1, Oct 28, 2011.

1. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    the nite we bought our first roo and hen,the hen was killed by a coon.i went and bought a steel trap that next morning.havnt seen signs of any preditors since then,with the exception of a possum i shot,until tuesday morning.tuesday we found our silky roo and hen,as well as our coaching roo had been taken durring the nite:(.it looked like a crime scene in that pen,which it was of course.
    i went to TSC and bought 2 more live traps.and finaly this morning we had a HUGE coon in the steel trap!i use to coon hunt,and this was the biggest boar coon i had ever seen!he has since been eliminated, and the traps reset in case there are more.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Glad you got it. Good idea to keep your traps out. Probably a few more around.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Keep your traps set. I caught 13 coons and maybe 10 possums over the summer while trapping groundhogs. I live in the city surrounded by homes and thought there was nothing but squirrels and cottontails.Sorry for your loss.

4. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    keep your traps set his friends will show up . good luck

5. gpwelding1

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    sorry i wasnt able to get on yesterday.but yesterday morning we had 2 more coons in traps.one in a live trap,and one in the same steel trap.nothing this morning,but im still leaving the traps set.i just have a feeling there are still more around here.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    It's sad to lose the hens but very productive with the traps. Congratulations.

7. gpwelding1

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    i havnt been on in quite a while,just wanted to give a quick update.
    in the last few months i have caught 17 coons,7possums,2 wild cats and one verrry confused turtle in live traps at my chicken lot.
    in all this time i have only lost two chickens,and neither were to predators.one little hen hen just fell over dead in front of us.and a older black sexlink passed to old age.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

That's the kind of numbers we like to see! A new kind of chicken math...Chicken 26 / Predators zero! For the year to date my box score is: raccoon 4, skunk 1, woodchuck 1, red squirrel 6, rat one, and not one chicken lost (yeah!), so I'm at Chickens 13 / Varmints zero. I decided to include the red squirrels (grain thieves) and the woodchuck (eats garden treats).

9. Extra Java

Extra Java Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    My Coop
    I'm good at trapping squirrels...What's good bait for raccoons and CATS??? Cat food? Tuna? I have a cat problem amongst other night predators.

10. gpwelding1

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    the best i have found is mixing dry catfood with peanut butter.racoons go CRAZY over it!what realy suprised me was that was what i caught the 2 wild domestic cats with as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by