FINALY my canaries are breeding.. UPDATE..* DAY 16* PICS *

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by austinhart123, Jan 23, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    My canary hen is building a nest. I am SOO EXITED... will post pics of them asap! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    [​IMG] Good for you ! Do your canaries sing ?

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm assuming you have a pair?

4. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    yes i have a pair and they do sing!....... here are the pics as promised
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now my question is weather to get fake eggs or not... one book says to replace the eggs with fake eggs untill the clutch is complete and the other book says not to interfere.... so some expierience would be great! thank you

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Okay that is WAY too cute!

6. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    well she is in the process of laying eggs, three so far and im hoping a forth and final one tomorrow... she hasnt really commited to her nest yet just in and out so i think they will all hatch at the same time

7. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    she is finished laying five eggs, and this first time mother is sitting on a clutch of not four, but FIVE eggs [​IMG] i will continue to post updates and pictures throughout the incubation and chick rearing process

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

more nice photos!

I choose not to interfere with my finch families. Finches, though, are notoriously easy breeders! [​IMG] I only allow one clutch per year because most of my finches are adopted from a rescue and there are always more to rescue. I never breed more than I won't keep.

oh - I meant to ad in your other post about genetics and coloring that your canaries would appreciate baths if you don't already give them one.

I put a bowl of water (that the birds can just touch the bottom of) in each flight cage every other day. They LOVE baths!

9. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:ya i always see them in their water dish splashing around lol

10. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    well tomorow is week one, im not gunna candle becuase i dont want to take her nest away, i havent disturbed her setting since she started setting and i am just letting her be, but i heard that infertile eggs will turn dirty red so ill keep my eye on that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by