1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Financially speaking, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by msrma7670, Apr 21, 2009.

1. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my 3rd year raising chickens and each year I've had to start over for one reason or the other with my flock. By the end of this summer I hope to be set up with silver cuckoo marans, welsummers, Japanese pheonix, and if I'm lucky, BBS Orpingtons. What I'm wondering is if it is worth it financially to really try to breed these chicken and work to get the very best to sell the eggs and baby chicks, or should I look at it as more of a hobby and be more relaxed because if I get to into it I'll spend more money than it is worth. I'm a stay at home mom and I home school my 4 children, so a second income, even if it is small will help. What I don't need is to create a money pit out of an enjoyable hobby. All together I have room for maybe 20-30 breeding chickens. I can occasionally free range them in fall and winter, but in the summer they eat my garden and my berries.

So what is your experience? If you've tried breeding a good line of chickens and selling them did you make a profit?[​IMG]

2. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

Everything considered, I loose money or just break even. But don't tell my wife. It is a hobby that pays in many other ways.
    Just think of what it would cost you to find another hobby that takes up so much of your time!

3. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Make money!? On breeding chickens!!!!!????? Hilarious! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't even have chickens yet, and I know that it isn't worth it, financially.

The coop cost $900.00. He brought home $1,100.00 worth of chain link fence. The grading isn't complete. The whole shebang has to be put together.

I have to find the chickens I want. I have to feed the darned things. I have to create the time in my time restricted day to care for them the way that they should be cared for.

I really should have waited the four years until I retire to do this chicken thing.

Imagine how many eggs I'll have to sell for peanuts to pay for all of this!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:totally agree--any money I make off of my chickens goes right back to them-food-treats-toys etc...shoot Im in the hole by about 500$ with the 4 chickens I have now...I'm hoping when my lavender silkies are laying age I can sell the eggs for $ to catch up on their upkeep!! Otherwise how can I justify the hubbie building me another pimped out coop!!! shhh..lol...

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hobby with benefits!

When I'm interviewing with the media I tell them that we view our chickens as pets that give back to us in many ways.

People raising chickens for the money are either in for a lot of work and/or often at best break even (if you factor in time).

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It will take the rest of my life to brake even. I'm in my 60's.

8. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am glad to know I am not alone in this quest for going broke over chickens.

FIRST ONE TO BROKE WINS [​IMG]

9. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I chose to get chickens as a hobby & as a way to kind of "stick-it" to large companies who treat their chicks horribly, as just a way to make a buck...however, I digress [​IMG]

I figure I'll charge my friends the same amount of money that the grocery charges for eggs & I least I know they and their families are receiving healthy, delicious tasting eggs from happy, healthy chickens. I've taken away at least 10 customers from those companies [​IMG]

Anywho, I know I'll forever be in the hole for my small flock, but its totally worth it..."pets with benefits" if you will...

10. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Quote:Well, you will never recover the money you have spent already. From the sound of it you are already in a money pit since you have had to start over 3x. You would be better in concentrating on one or two breeds not 3 or 4. In order to sell chicks or eggs for the prices that are up there one has a reputation to build and that takes years. Chicks bought from a hatchery will not be that close to SOP you will have to breed up. If you are buying from a breeder you will have to show your chickens to get a reputation. Your first years breeding will not be able to claim high prices or even med prices.

If you raise 20 to 30 chickens it will take more time aways from your kids. I think you need to rethink what you are thinking. One thing you will be putting out alot of money for feed, way more than you think. You will also have to hatch alot and I mean a real lot of chickens to improve your breeding lines. Then you have to find those people who want the breed you are selling. Since most want good layers and the ones you have chosen are not good layer your will have a harder time selling them. You are going after a specialty market that is not very big with those breeds you have chosen.

It sounds like you are having problems since you have had to start over so much. Maybe instead of trying to make money your should go back to basics with one breed and get it right before trying to do a serious breeding venture. Learn one breed work with it and breed it before taking on any others.

Good luck in whatever your choose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by