Finch nest

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
So...we got a product from a coop company who never shipped the rest of it, so we need to return the product (still in a box), just then, a finch (wild purple finch) has decided to nest in it. I checked today and saw eggs. I was wondering how long it takes to hatch and was also very curious whether or not I should add in a few quail eggs for them. However, I dont want to risk diseases, abandoned nests, etc. So I was wondering whether or not this is a good idea. Also, do finches sit on the nest all the time? because when I went there, it was not on the nest, for about 30 minutes.

I think it takes about 13 days for the eggs to hatch.
Don't add any quail eggs. Not only would they be much too big for the finches to incubate, but quail chicks can walk around and eat on their own very quickly after they hatch. Baby finches are completely helpless.
Wait, I have not seen it sit on the nest, do finches just not sit on the nest until the eggs are a few days old? she layed them yesterday and has not sat on them yet...atleast everytime i go to see.

Wait, I have not seen it sit on the nest, do finches just not sit on the nest until the eggs are a few days old? she layed them yesterday and has not sat on them yet...atleast everytime i go to see.
I think she's waiting until there's enough to hatch, and then she'll start sitting. Just so that there is no delayed hatching.

Nature is smart like that :)

Back
Top Bottom