finches and their eggs...

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Myst4, May 23, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Anyone know the behavior of finches when they have layed eggs? I can see about 3 in there nest(I only look quickly when the parents aren't in there). I have noticed that they don't sit for very long on the eggs. I mean the dad or mom sits on them for a short time, then comes away from the nest and flies around the cage and "plays"?(not breeding,just chasing each other) with the other...then goes back to the nest and does this all day. Should they be sitting on the nest a lot more than they are?

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    my finches have 3 eggs in there nest an they take turns sitting on them an at least one parent is always in the nest it's never left empty

finches will start to set after the 3rd egg is layed if they are new parents they will sometimes not take care of the babies the first time.

did you see the parents mate? if not the eggs may not be fertile

an yea when finches have eggs in the nest they will chase the other finches Alot cuz they don't want the other birds near the nest

i have about 13 finches if you have anymore questions just ask me : ) i hope this helps

3. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    I don't have an answer, but my daughter has been asking for finches and I was wondering how often they lay eggs?

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    They love to breed so as long as you have a nest box in the cage they will always lay eggs an raise babies

but there have been time were when i take the nest box out cuz i only let them raise one set of babies at a time. anyways when i take the nest box out they have made a nest in the food tray a few times an lay eggs in that but most the time they wont lay any eggs unless theres a nest box/basket in the cage

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Just remember to not give them any more nesting material after they start laying, they will bury their eggs!

6. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:yes they have mated...they have been parents before I got them,so they are pros at it .There are only the two of them in the cage. thanks for your help

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:oops, they have been looking for more, so I gave them more today...I hope their eggs are ok...and not buried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by