Finches drinking hummingbird water?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Parrots, Canaries, Finches etc.' started by the outdoorsman44, May 31, 2012.

1. the outdoorsman44

the outdoorsman44 Songster

Jun 22, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    so i have a hummingbird feeder in my backyard and when i look to see if anything is over there i see either finches or sparrows drinking the hummingbird water?[​IMG]

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Songster

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I used to have a humming bird feeder and every morning around six, a pair of them would be drinking, and flying around. Then land in a tree near by, then come back. They did that over, and over again. Then later on in the afternoon, and evening I'd see little finches on the feeder. I don't think their beaks could fit through the holes to get the sweets though. The best time I could catch the humming birds was early morning.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You have to use a type of feeder with deep holes in it. I have the same problem with the house finches raiding the hummer feeders. Look around in the stores and see if you can find some deep holed feeders. And ones that have no perches or places for finches to stand on. They can't cling to angles and such on the feeder.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I highly recommend the Hummzinger brand of feeders. They are extremely easy to keep clean, and other birds/bees etc can't get in to the sugar water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: