1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FINCHES - HOW MUCH DO THEY COST? IS THIS A GOOD DEAL?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by peepsnbunnies, May 9, 2008.

1. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    They owner of the pet store where I shop was trying to convince me to buy a cage full of assorted finches. He said he would give me the finches and the cage for $100.00. I have not had finches in 20+ years and don't know what finches cost these days. I have seen some members posting about their finches, so I was wondering if you guys can tell me if it is a good deal or not.

There are: 8 Zebra finches, 1 Society finch 1 pair of Strawberry finches, and 1 Cordonbleu finch(sp?)

Lisa:)

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    You could get them from a breeder for much cheeper society finches and zebra finches sell at breeders for around 5$ unless they are fancy colors the codonblue is a good deal and I guess the strawberry finch is to. Is that cage large enough for all of them to live in comfortably? I used to breed gouldians, societies, zebras, parrot finches, owl finches, diamond doves, and button quail.

Thanks,
    Henry

3. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    my local vets office sells finches $15 each or 2 for $25. A pet store not too far from here sells the pairs with a small cage for $30. Not sure what kinds though.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Actually, that's a very good deal for the finches, especially considering the average selling price of the Cordon Bleu and Strawberry Finches. Look them up. I would buy them if I were you. [​IMG]

5. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    I raise finches and have been looking for Strawberrys.
    I pm'd you:D

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    My uncle used to breed zebra finches. He pretty much bred all exotic poultry. [​IMG]

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:He also used to breed breed Gouldian Finches.

8. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    At the last few bird fairs I have been to, zebra finches were selling for $8 each and society finches for $5-$8 each. I'm not sure of the price range for cordon bleus or strawberries now, but I know cordons were at one time quite expensive. With the cage, it sounds like a very good deal to me. Just remember that zebras and societies are quite common, and it might not be as easy to find homes for the babies, and they raise a lot!

9. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Agree with Sparrow's comments, considering the price of Strawberry's and Cordons, I'd go for it. Is the Cordon a blue cap or red-cheek?

Dan

10. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Wow i got ripped off!! When i bought my daughters fenches (spice) I paid $29 a pair without cages. I wonder how I can find a breeder. Crystal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by