Finches

Fifithechick

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Berane-Montenegro
Hey guys, yesterday I got pair of zebra finches, female is white and male is like normal zebra finch, but he is too young and he don't have all these marks, I know he is male because i cought him singing yesterday. I bought them because i wanted to breed them but in pet shop were just this pair. I putted nesting box, some minerals, nesting material, fruits and vedges in their cage. When will they start breeding?

Will they start in next 2 months?

How old are they? They can start breeding from around 12 weeks, but you should wait until they're at least six months old to let them breed. They are warm month breeders, so if they are old enough, they could breed this spring/summer. I had three pairs of zebras, but they chucked each others' eggs out of the nests to stop each other from breeding. You won't have that problem if you only have one pair.

If it's mid spring for you now, they should hopefully breed over summer. I've seen mine carry around straw a lot. If you give them time, they should start filling up the nest.

Good news! I have just seen the male carring some feathers and twigs into the nesting box, but female just stand on pearch and watch him. Is that normal? Does she need to help him or not?

Hey guys, yesterday I got pair of zebra finches, female is white and male is like normal zebra finch, but he is too young and he don't have all these marks, I know he is male because i cought him singing yesterday. I bought them because i wanted to breed them but in pet shop were just this pair. I putted nesting box, some minerals, nesting material, fruits and vedges in their cage. When will they start breeding?

Will they start in next 2 months?
Sorry I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to know if they had chicks yet !?! :wee

Sorry I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to know if they had chicks yet !?! :wee
Hi, I'm a "little" bit late with response.😂 They have been trying all summer to hatch chicks, but they didn't success. They been laying 3-5 eggs every month and a half or two, and they were laying on them, but nothing hatched. They are not laying eggs now, since November (or i think so), but they spend 70% of their time in nesting box, just laying together. But one thing i remember is that I have never seen them mating, maybe that's the reason nothing hatched.

Back
Top Bottom