1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Whats the easiest finch to take care of. Not loud. Pretty. Freindly. and does well with other birds?

2. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Zebra finches so easy even a caveman can raise them

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Maybe a little battery-operated one... Honestly, any finch can be vocal when they put their minds to it. Zebra finches are good, but they also breed a lot and you will soon have many more than you can care for, especially if you want an easy care situation.

4. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    I don't think any finch is truly freindly. [​IMG]

Zebras and Societies are the best

5. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Zebras and societies are typically the most hardy and easiest to care for. They tend to breed like, well, bunnies and friends soon run away from you when they see you coming carrying a cage of them as "presents".

Lady gouldians are the most beautiful (and yes, since I raised them, I'm prejudiced toward this).

Finches are not normally friendly in the sense that larger parrots would be. They are so tiny that they often tend to shy away from human hands, although there are some (typically those that have been handfed in an emergency type situation) that may be less frightened around humans.

You also need to be careful in regards to what other birds you wish to place these finches with. Because they are so tiny their only defense is to attempt to get away from any other bird that may be aggressive toward them. They can be easily hurt if placed around larger parrots.

Gail

6. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Well I wanted to build a tall aviary to go in the corner of my room and have finches in the "top" Area with natual branches and things and then button quail at the bottom since they dont fly..to clean up the mess. Is caring for the Lady Gouldian's hard? Where could i find them?

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Any kind of finch is easy to care for, but think twice about a big aviary. I have one, its like apiece of furniture, and they are the messiest little guys and gals you ever saw . . .they eat like lumberjacks, but they are really sweet and I love to watch them. I have about 30, plus 6 Cockatiels. . .I have two Goulians, a male and a female but no babies. I think Mr. is too old, but they hang together . . .Mr. also has a gimpy wing and he has to stay down low so I wonder if that might not affect her too. . .she stays right with him, but no nesting at all and I provided three different ones so they could have a choice. They will mess in their water dishes majorly, they think they are bathtubs, so that is always a mess and you have to watch their water because they drink alot too, or mine seem too. . .I have to take a hot soapy rag and scrub the mesh every week because they CAN fly and poop regardless of what I have read [​IMG] The owl Finches are beautiful, but very $$ and you can get a lot invested in the Goulians also, (I may be spelling that wrong, sorry!!) so starting out with the Society is probably your best route to see if you really want them. They are noisy, and they don't sing, but I find them cute and soothing after a hard day, so its up to the individual on that . . .good luck!!! Google them, there is a mountain of information about them.

8. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Many folks find finches at bird fairs. Florida has quite a few of these:

http://www.exoticbirdexpos.info/FL.shtml

If there's a local bird club in your area, you might be able to find a breeder who has gouldian finches.

Gail

9. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Try looking on Youtube if you want to get a visual on any kind of animal or bird your interested in. Type in the search box what type of Finch you want to see plus a discriptive word like flock, evil, noisey, messy, and you should get a whole list of Finch videos. Sorry for the negativity, but I have one Zebra Finch and I'm pretty sure that he's one of Satan's minions, lol. I've never had anything besides Zebras, so I don't know if all finches are like that. Orange Cheeked Waxbills seem to be the less noisy of the group (Not to mention cute as button!). I would have a cage of them if I didn't have to many birds and chickens already, lol. Here is a link to a youtube video that shows a small petshop cage full of them (The two bluish birds in the cage with them are Cordon Blues, I don't know if they're noisy or not. They didn't make any noise in the video)

Hope I helped!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Many birds are in the care of rescue organizations and could use a home. Before you purchase a bird from a pet store or breeder, try asking rescue groups!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by