finchie set up

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MissCluck, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I adore my indoor birdies.....In the beginning... there was one cage........

[​IMG]

And then there were two!

[​IMG]

Flapping friends

[​IMG]

Legolas Greenleaf the canary in his own flight cage.

[​IMG]

Lovely adopted Lady Gouldian Finches in their flight cage.

[​IMG]

More of the gang.....

[​IMG]

2. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Finches are just as addictive as chickens! Love your setup. Your Gouldians are beautiful. I'm gonna get some of those someday. Is that a piece of a Star in one of the pictures? Mine are in a large flight cage too. They seem to do well all together. I just added # 10 and 11. Lovebirds that someone could no longer keep.

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I love your finches! I miss mine so much, I love their happy energy!

4. MissCluck

Yes I do have two Star ladies! You have good eyes for a speckle!

The Stars and Gouldians came together as a flock from a rescue last winter but I have them separated now. The Gouldians are very friendly and personable birds.

5. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Some people get all the neet stuff! Stars and Gouldians cost more than DH will let me spend on finches. I keep hoping I'll find some rescues/freebies. You gave me hope, it can happen. Meanwhile I still the ones I have.

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, I had finches when I was a girl and I sure would love to have some more someday. Yours are just beautiful!!!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Thanks for sharing your pix, misscluck! I have several societies & diamond doves in a large flight cage with a few toys & ladders, but I was hesitant about putting in the artificial greenery b/c when I tried that with my 'tiels, they ate that plastic down to nothing. Will the finches not chew it up?

8. MissCluck

I watch them carefully and so far I don't have any problems with the finches chewing the silk plants. I replace the greenery twice a year and wash it regularly.

I do provide them with shredded paper to play with and that helps. Toys too.

I was very fortunate to be able to adopt the Gouldians and Stars from a rescue. In bird stores the Goulds are upwards of around $100. each. I've never seen Star finches in any stores around here.

I also have a little Avadavat finch boy that came with my big batch of adopted Zebras. He's a delight.

9. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    They are too cute. I have an aviary with zebras,black cheek zebras, cordon bleu,and an orange cheek I have 3 button quails on the bottom. Now I am waiting for button quail heaven's bourkes to have babies so I can add one to my aviary. I just had 3 baby black cheeks and my cordons are on eggs. I love my finches such a joy to watch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by