Find of the day!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Nov 29, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think I have found three female mallards!!! Found a post on Craigslist and have called and am picking them up on Wed! [​IMG] Within our birds we only have 2 female mallards so these will be welcome in the flock.

I forgot the best part 3/$10

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Cool! Do you have any drakes? [​IMG]

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Sadly at this moment we are over run with drakes- for now they are not causing problems but.... I am expecting them at any moment. I have 14 drakes that are slated to move and am trying to decide when to do this.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    At least for now you are adding more females... Trying to find new homes for that many drakes sure wont be easy- but I wish you the best of luck in finding them some nice new homes. Sure is a great price too. We would never see ducks that cheap out here in Australia.

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well I am still excited about my three new females to the flock, Have them in isolation but.... I am trying to decide if they are just extra big or if my own two are just small and will grow to this size (I think they are around 16 weeks). They look double the size, have darker bills but seem to have been handled so are less wild than mine. Again note to self DON't get 30 ducklings at one time [​IMG] The kid who owned these knew very little. No idea how old, couldn't answer any of the rest of my questions.

So I am hoping these three will be integrated into the flock with out too much effort on my part.

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Congrats on your new additions! How big are they? Is it possible they're rouens instead of mallards?

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It sounds like they are probably rouens, a lot of people confuse the two. Mallards should be tiny like a call duck as adults.

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Rouens, Mallards on steroids [​IMG]

9. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I was guessing that they were in fact Rouens but was having trouble finding pictures that looked like these three. Or I guess it is hard to tell in a picture how big they are. My mallards do look like call ducks, These are just a bit smaller than the WH.

But they didn't feel like the 7 lb that rouens are suppoesed to weigh, granted I didn't weigh them yet. I guess I keep looking for a picture of a rouen with a mallard.

10. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by