finding a home for a roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Flock Runner, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i went out to my birds and realized that they were starting to get bare backs. i decided to get rid of my mean roo but i dont want to kill him. what is the best way to find a rooster a home? or would it be better to just get more hens? im getting more birds in the spring anyway, but since he's a jerk i want to find a new home for him. how should i do this without just giving him to some random hobo?
    details on roo:
    sometimes mean
    sometimes skiddish
    used to being in charge
    will chase people
    has never bitten anyone
    good with other birds
    has a foot and wing problem due to an injury but does not affect him very much
    is a bad flyer though
    good at defending hens
    probably needs a home

2. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    he's a houdan. here's a picture if it helps.

[​IMG]

3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Where are you located? Have you looked at adding him to craigs list? You can put him in there and ask that you screen every inquiry. There are also some swaps that are found on facebook according to location that might have people looking just for an established roo for their flock.

4. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    well id dont exactly want to sell him or put him online for sale, i just want him to have a good home.

as for location, i live in northern kentucky.

5. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011

maybe i'll try finding someone on facebook who wants him...

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    x2

I posted on craigslist and had my two boys picked up. Most people you can email back and forth about what kinda land they have and everything. My one roo went to a 10 acre farm with his own ladies and fields to run around on! Lucky guy right! My other one I actually go and visit every now and then so you never know, you just have to ask :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by