Finding an egg every few days directly under the roosts..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaBuch, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MamaBuch

MamaBuch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    Alexandria New Hampshire
    We have 8 hens and 4 nesting boxes that we clean frequently. The hens all seem to want to lay in the same box and we keep finding a single egg under where the chickens roost at night. I've found about 4 in the past 2 weeks now and only one has been slightly cracked. Laying eggs while roosting? Is that possible?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hens won't get off the roost at night /in the dark to lay an egg, so if their laying cycle is out of sync with the daylight hours, has been interrupted, or they had an egg delayed in their system etc, they will just drop/lay it while on the roost. It is fairly common with pullets or hens coming back into lay, or birds that are having problems. Do you know if it is the same hen who is doing it?

3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It is possible because it takes about 25 hours from start to finish to create an egg. Four eggs in two weeks seems like a bit much for the cycle. Is there a dent in the bedding where the egg is found like someone was making a nest? I think the more likely reason is that the favorite nesting box was full when she went to lay her egg and she went to the second safest place...under the roost. No matter how many good clean nest boxes you provide they will always have a favorite one to lay in. Another option is if she is a new layer. I have found that the ones that resort to under the roost are either the lowest on the pecking order (sleep on the floor instead of the roost and can't barge their way into a full box) or brand new layers that have the same problem getting into a full box.

4. MamaBuch

Dec 10, 2013
    Alexandria New Hampshire
    Hmm.. Not exactly sure who it is, although I have an idea. All our hens just started laying a few weeks ago.. and we are still waiting for a few to start but we never find eggs in the nests in the AM, but when we find this one egg on the ground, it isn't in a "nest" on the ground and it's first thing in the AM when I let them out. It could be that she doesn't feel like coming down because all the hens sleep side by side on the highest roost. I'm wondering if we lower the roost, it might encourage her to fly down to the boxes. We have two roosts, one about two feet high and another, about 4 feet high (we installed it for the guineas) and they aren't directly above each other.

5. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you are letting them out in the morning, when they are just waking up, I don't see lowering the roost making her get off of it to lay an egg in the nests ... since it sounds like she is dropping them at night. If you keep her on a consistent day/night/lighting schedule, hopefully she/they will straighten out. With new layers, they will sometimes drop eggs randomly during the day also, like they do not quite understand they are laying an egg, or what they are supposed to do.

6. MamaBuch

Dec 10, 2013
    Alexandria New Hampshire
    We have a times set to turn their coop light on at 4:30 and turn off at 9:30.. We just set that up lady week so hopefully she'll get on track :)

7. MamaBuch

Dec 10, 2013
    Alexandria New Hampshire
    Hmmm, just found another egg this morning that was clearly frozen/cracked but it was a blue one this time, not a brown like it had been.. I wonder why they are doing that. In addition to the light turning on at 4:30pm-9:30pm , my fiancé turns the coop light on around 6am and it turns off at 7am, could that have something to do with it?

8. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The eggs seem to have a normal shell etc? You still are getting eggs laid in the boxes during the day? Hopefully just some of your girls aren't on schedule yet. So they are dark from 9:30pm to 6am (assume it is light at 7am?) now? They don't like change, and when you change the lights it takes a while to synchronize with the new schedule, and with new or spotty layers everything doesn't take place exactly on time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by