finding dead pheasants in coop

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by mtruell1671, Jun 22, 2011.

1. mtruell1671

mtruell1671 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    found 2 dead last wk and 2 this am, just tipped over and dead no apparent wounds , some of the other flock is spry and running all around the coop, but there is a few just sitting idel and opening there beaks like they are trying to talk with there eyes closed they are about 6 wks help never had this issue b4

2. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    did you still have a heat lamp on them? hold cold was it last night? somethimes they need the lamp for a while...

3. mtruell1671

mtruell1671 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    i actually shut it offf last wk its been 80-90 day and maybe 50-60- at nite most were not using it at all there would b only 1-4 under it when i shut it off
    i started with 75 chicks i think i hav about 65 left the last 3 yrs weve raised them i had hardly any dead at this age

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What are you feeding them?Are they all eating or are some being bullied and not allowed to get to the feed?Do you give them electrolytes and vitamins in their water at least once a week?Explain your brooding up until they went outside.
    You left out just about everything,but they are dying,we need a lot more info before we can even start to figure it out.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. mtruell1671

mtruell1671 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    im feedn them turkey starter and turkey grower pellets mixed now no im not using any supplements in h2o, but havent use them in previous years with no problems . we actually put the chicks outside earlier this yr. with the ability to get into brood with lights on until last wk when i shut them off. we put them out a about 4 wks into a smaller internal coop also with lights and then eventually allowing them to go out into the large netted coop. without any fatalities until just about 2 wks ago 1 then another then another and today 2 dead

6. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    When brooding,did you start at 95 degrees,a week later drop to 90 next week 85 then next 80 then 75?You have to drop the temps so they can climatize until they are ready to be off from lights.I like to brood at least 5 weeks to make sure they have feathered enough.
    I don't think turkey feed is good for them,it contains bacatracin(spelling) that is for black head which is fed to turkeys and peafowl.I don't think pheasants should have it.I don't know if they can eat it,but I wouldn't feed it to them.
    If they are fully feathered and the temps aren't too cold,they should be fine.How big is the pen they are in?How many birds in this pen?
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:BMD (Bacitracin methylene disalicylate) is in a lot of gamebird starter and shouldn't hurt pheasants at all. The starter I have used for years has it and I've never had a problem. It is used with gamebirds to prevent enteritis (also known as quail disease).

Any nasal discharge or rattling in the chest? It's hard to say what is wrong without more information, but Tylan works great on a lot of respiratory problems.

8. mtruell1671

mtruell1671 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    no snots ! but seem to be gasping and shruging neck some .i picked up some tetrycycline to try for a wk /..coop is 40x80 12 ft tall i hav or had 75 pheasant
    just a few look sick all others seem to b running around fine and frisky so i dont think its a "coop" issue

9. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Do they all roost at night?Gasping and shrugging?Could be they picked up a worm,but they are only 6 weeks old?Is this a new pen or a pen that has been used over and over again?What was in this pen in the past?Did you lime the pen before use?
    In N.H.,Tony.

10. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Sound like to me they are getting to cold at night if it getting down to 50 degree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by