Finding fodder seeds?

ShaylaFox

Songster
6 Years
Jul 5, 2014
Arkansas
If you feed fodder, where do you get your seeds?
Due to an unexpected move my girls can’t free range like they use to. They’re bored and my feed bill is steadily climbing due to them not being able to forage. I would like to start growing wheat, barely, or alfalfa sprouts for them. My issue is I can’t seem to find anywhere that caries the seeds. I’ve tried Atwood’s and Tractor Supply.

Pic of my every growing chicks because who doesn’t like to show their flock off😉
0EB77614-06B7-4FEE-B169-A023CC49E91D.jpeg

The local feed/ farm store has them here, and there are lots of catalog options, if you google looking for farm seeds.
Mary
I will stop in and ask mine, however, I really doubt they carry any. I was looking to reseed my horse pasture and they didn’t have much to offer.

What are you typically paying? $12 for 1 pound of seed seems really steep.

I'm buying 10, 20, and 50# bags, as I live on 30acres. Price Point MUCH more attractive in bulk. Last year, I threw a 10# bag of red clover, a 10# bag of yellow, 50# of a no till over winter cover crop, and 10# of an upland game mix in a section I had just cleared of trees. Less than $200, *lightly* covered most of 2 acres of sand and clay soils. Filled in (mostly) nicely - though a month of 0 rainfall before the well was dug meant I got less out of it than was hoped for (a month when we should, on average, have received 8" of rainfall...) and much of the growth has been these past two months. Honestly, it was pretty sparse in spring - so sparse I thought I'd burned $200 of seed for the pleasure of spreading it in the rain - last rain the seed saw for four weeks. [Words were said]

Just joined the National Wild Turkey Foundation to get low cost/subsidized seed from them. Planning on putting down at least an acre of chufa (yellow nutsedge) this spring. They have 1# of alfalfa for $7.65, which is great if you need small quantity. Otherwise, i'd bulk buy 10# for $50, which is about an acre's worth.

/edited to add additional details and more accurately characterize my back "yard".

Last edited:
I'm buying 10, 20, and 50# bags, as I live on 30acres. Price Point MUCH more attractive in bulk. Last year, I threw a 10# bag of red clover, a 10# bag of yellow, 50# of a no till over winter cover crop, and 10# of an upland game mix in a section I had just cleared of trees. Less than $200, *lightly* covered most of 2 acres of sand and clay soils. Filled in nicely - though a month of 0 rainfall before the well was dug meant I got less out of it than was hoped for (a month when we should, on average, have received 8" of rainfall...)

Just joined the National Wild Turkey Foundation to get low cost/subsidized seed from them. Planning on putting down at least an acre of chufa (yellow nutsedge) this spring.
Ahhhh. I’m looking to grow fonder in tubs. I have plenty of land, but I can’t fence it in because I am renting and I don’t want to turn my hens house because I don’t trust the neighbors dogs.

Back
Top Bottom