Finding free roosters on Kijiji

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChickieBooBoo, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I seen a few other thread about taking extra roosters off peoples hands, and I have seen quite a few ads around here advertising them. When you are contacting them, do you tell them what you plan to do with them? I don't want some little kid all upset because I butchered his pet or something... [​IMG]

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I would only tell them if they ask.

If the ad says they want the rooster to go to a home that won't eat it, I don't reply to that ad. If they don't say anything like that, then I just reply and say I'll take him. I've never had anyone ask what I was going to do with it. Personally, I think they know (or deeply suspect) and just don't want to hear it said out loud.

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    That's why I don't bother with contacting folks who have posted ads, unless they specifically say the chickens are free to process or whatever. Even those, they seem to want money for, and at this point, I'm too cheap, and having too much luck getting free birds [​IMG] I post in mine that they are to be eaten, and the folks I've picked up from have been the type of folks I like to be with - they have no qualms about where food comes from - they just don't want to deal with chicken processing [​IMG]

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    ok, thanks for the replies! I responded to a few ads and told one of them so we'll see how it works.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I often sell my excess roosters to the ethnic community, they prize older roosters for cooking some of their more flavorful dishes. It's a good way for me to sell them at a better price than I would get at my local auction barns, they seek me out and always ask when I will have some extra roosters.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by