Finding the nesting boxes.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rjfoster03, Jul 24, 2010.

1. rjfoster03

rjfoster03 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    I have 10 pullets that could start laying in a couple of weeks.... They are free-range, always go to their coop at night, to eat and to drink. They all roost together huddled in a corner. Their nesting boxes are above them and they have to go up a ladder to get to them. Unfortunately, I don't think they have ever been up there to see what they have- 7 nesting boxes and a lot more places to roost. Some have been up the ladder to get the food I have put on it, but not high enough to go into a nesting box.

Will they find the nesting box area on their own? If I should try and get them in there to show them, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. jennifer@couplandtx.org

jennifer@couplandtx.org Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    it helped when I put a golf ball in the box, they think it is an egg, so they lay there. I had to totally close off the garage which is their preferred location to hide/lay eggs! jennifer

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Yes, put a golf ball or buy some wood eggs and put them where you want the chickens to lay. This is where they phrase, "Nest Egg" came from. The object was to create a place to build something, and in this case, it is to encourage your chickens to lay in a certain place.

It works.

4. rjfoster03

rjfoster03 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    If the hens have not been up to the nesting boxes, how will they actually find them or even see the golf ball "eggs"?

5. jennifer@couplandtx.org

jennifer@couplandtx.org Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    we picked ours up and put them in there. they scratched around for a while and then got down and didn't lay there thay day, but finally did. j

6. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    Can you move the nesting boxes lower than their roosts? The roosts, so I've read, are suppose to be the highest point. I'm sure your chickens will adjust if you can't move the boxes but that's what I would do if I were you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by