Finding the Right Breeds of Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katierosew, Mar 4, 2014.

1. katierosew

katierosew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    Hey my name is Katie, and I'd call myself an aspiring chicken owner. I've just about talked my husband into building a coop for me this summer, and I've done a ton of research on my own about different chicken breeds, coops, and how to raise/maintain them. What I'm having trouble with is ordering the specific breeds of chickens I want. I only want about 4-6 chickens in my future coop, and from the research I've done with the PickinChickn app on my phone, I've determined I want to try one of each of these four breeds: Brahma, Holland, Dominique, and Dorking. However, the problem is that most people who sell chickens for a living sell them in minimum orders of 25. So my question for everyone is where did you get your chickens from? Is it even possible for me to have more than one breed of chicken coexist or do I have to buy all the same kind? Also, I live in central Arkansas, so if anyone knows where I could get chickens here, that would be great.

Thanks for your time,

Katie

P.S. For those of you with smart phones, if you're on this website, then you definitely need the PickinChickn app. You can search a multitude of filters for just the right kind of chickens you want (i.e. meat chickens, egg chickens, dual purpose, egg size, egg color, lay rate, growth temperament, weight climate, free range forager, confined, broody, etc.) This app also has a huge library of any chicken breed you can think of, and it includes all their traits and qualities.

2. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Your local feed store should have lots of chicks for sale. Usally you can buy a minumum of 6 chicks. You can also mix and match them.

3. katierosew

katierosew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    I have visited the local farmer's co-op, and they are only carrying five breeds of chickens this spring but none of them are the breeds I want. [​IMG]

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Oh okay :/ Try to contact maybe a local breeder? You should also try your state thread and ask around.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I believe it's My Pet Chicken who will ship only a few chicks in different breeds.

If you reconsider and pick out chicks from the local farmer's co-op, you can select healthier, more active chicks, and even chicks that seem more likely to be tamed, if you are interested in tame chickens. Or perhaps you can find a local breeder.

6. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup - I think MPC's minimum was around 5... and they sex bantams!

7. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

I haven't looked for the policy on their website, but Meyer Hatchery shipped me 10 chicks the first time and 4 the second. They also have a very helpful online chat if you want to discuss breed options with them.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually, Ideal and probably others will ship small quantities as well. The bottom line will be higher per bird to ship small quantities, of course.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I know Murray McMurray sells those breeds. They even sell a good mix of breeds that has these breeds mixed in. I am not sure how many come in this mix however, so you will have to check.

Good luck getting these gorgeous breeds and enjoy BYC!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If you can't find birds locally, in the spring it is also pretty easy to sell or give away extra layer chicks, you could order your special breeds from a hatchery that carries them, and fill the order with something like red sex links that are really popular and just place them... you might also consider getting more than one of the breeds you are interested in and placing extras, in case you lose one of those in shipping or soon after. Or try posting in your state thread if someone would want to split an order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by