Fine or Flake?? Help please. :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tripp16, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so I have had my chicks that I hatched on paper towels. They're getting older and I think they are ready for wood chips.

What kind? Fine or flake? I was wanting fine but someone told me they eat it. Is this true?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I have not had issues with chicks eating the fine, but I am also not saying they don't. I have been using flake as of late though just to keep the dust down.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I use fine shavings, small flakes. They are going to taste them. None of mine have died from nibbling on shavings.

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok thanks. I just thought it would be more comfortable.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I think mixed compressed wood chips that have no cedar in it.. You can find bags that open up to about 10 cubic feet at any feed supply for around $5 to $6 dollars I think. The compressed bags are not the course but not fine enough to be full of wood dust that I feel is a respiratory issue for young developing lungs.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I buy the fine from TSC and use it for the chicken coop, brooder box, rabbit litter boxes too. I've never had a problem with it being to fine or dusty. Tried the flakes once but didn't care for it. I've also never had an issue with chicks eating the shavings, especially once they know all about the feeder. Yeah they play around with it and may even consume a little but I've never had a problem with it.

7. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] As long as they have shavings it really isn't an issue of fine or flake. Some places call fine what I would call dust! I have bought flakes only to find large chunks of mulch in it. Bottom Line is this: find a product you like and stick with it. The chickens can't read so I don't think they care what brand or consistency you use period!

8. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks. Headed to TSC tomorrow.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I buy the course chips. They work fine for me. I used to use the fine shavings.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:What made you stop using the fine??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by