Fingers Crossed: We're hoping for girls!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JeffNBeccasChicks, May 10, 2008.

1. JeffNBeccasChicks

JeffNBeccasChicks New Egg

May 10, 2008
    We have three chicks who are about six weeks old. One is a Rhode Island Red, one is a Barred Rock and the other is an Araucana. We haven't heard any crowing yet but are getting nervous that they might not all be girls. We're hoping that fellow chicken posters may have ideas or conclusions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help will be greatly appreciated! We are definitely hoping for all girls! [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance...
    Jeff and Becca (and the girls?!)

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I am no expert, but those look like girls to me!

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They all look like ladies to me. Can you get a side pic of the Araucana? She looks exactly like my "pretty girl" (son named her).

The BR would be lighter if she was a he. The RIR would have a larger comb. The Araucana would also have a tail that stood straighter and pointy.

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    No offense (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe if it was an Araucana it would not HAVE a tail, as they are "rumpless" birds, right? A lot of hatcheries call Easter Eggers (which are crosses with Ameraucana-type birds, and gorgeous birds, we have several ourselves!) either Ameraucana or Araucana, but those two breeds are actually pretty rare and have very specific characteristics and colors they must conform to. Unless you buy from an actual breeder (i.e. not a hatchery) you're likely to have Easter Eggers.

As Easter Eggers become moer and more popular, I think it irks the breeders of the "real" Ameraucana and Auraucanas when people call the cross-breeds the wrong thing. Personally I don't care, but I think it bugs some of the breeders on this forum...

anyway--- they all look like very pretty girls to me from the pics!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    All of them look like pretty girls to me too. SeaChick is right, the last one pictured is an easter egger, not araucana.

Jody

6. JeffNBeccasChicks

JeffNBeccasChicks New Egg

May 10, 2008
    Thank you to everyone for their help and "ruling" on the GIRLS! (Yay!!). And an additional thank you to those who know the chicken world more than we do, thanks for the heads up on our Easter Egger. We are chicken rookies and just went by the sign at the feed store. I'll try to get some more pics of the ladies tonight as I'm outside wrestling with fencing. Thanks again! -Becca [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Love the color of your Easter Egger! Very pretty.

8. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I'm going to be the spoiler I guess...but I think your barred rock looks male. Time will tell, of course.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am not seeing anything remotely rooish about that Barred Rock. [​IMG] Dark coloring, not very big comb, just looks girly to me. Here is mine at a MUCH younger age. His comb was already bigger than this one. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think there is anything rooish about the BR either. I am a chicken newbie but they look like pullets to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by