*fingers crossed* Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HennysMom, Nov 29, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

and a few prayers wouldn't help LOL

I'm going to attempt to make my first quilt EVER out of my dad's old suits and clothing. Went yesterday to my mom's and got all of his clothing, she wants a quilt made, however she wanted someone else to make it (my hubby's aunt, who may take up to 8 mos to do it). So I got to thinking - bet I could do it. [​IMG] (<--- note look on face..I'm not worried....[​IMG]) okay..well..maybe just a little bit.

So, reseached alot on here (like the past hour...) reading all the quiliting threads (thank you to everyone who posted), went online and looked at patterns, purchased a rotary cutter, mat and rulers necessary (Oohh Joann has some good deals right now! [​IMG]) and I'm pretty much set.

Now I just have to figure out how to work the one thing I dread...

the sewing machine! LOL [​IMG]

Piece of cake... [​IMG] .. righhhhttt??? (oh gawd someone please say yes!)

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Good luck, I can't even sew on a button. I make DH do all the little sewing fixes. My kids do a better job than I do. (I can't type either, they laugh their buns off every time they see me at the computer)

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    as long as you can sew a straight (or semi straight line) you are on your way to making a quilt!

i started quilting when i was in grade 9 ya know the flop home ecomonics class we needed to take so i figured i would take sewing...how bad could it be....well i fell in love with sewing...i have made over a dozen qulits over the years and am working of a few at once right now when i get time to work on them i do..

i am gonna go and look for pics of my latest ones i will post a pic in a bit!

its not a great pcture but it was made with old jeans that the kids had out grown, an old flannel blanket and an old pair of navy blue curtains....the only thing i bought was the fabric for the backing and the batting in the middle...total cost for me to make this quilt was under 20$
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2008
  4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I don't know nothin' bout sewing, but GOOD LUCK. You have a good project lined out.

5. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I kinda know how to sew lol. I have an 1960 or early 70 Singer sewing machine. Somewhere right after the put a motor on it lol. I can't even drw a straight line much less sew one. Good luck [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sew straight lines. You will be fine. Take lots of photos to document your quilt. You don't need luck. You are going to make a wonderful quilt. Save your scraps you will want another one for yourself.

7. It's not that bad! I just started my first quilt for my DH as a Christmas present. I've gotten 3 blocks done so far but that's only because I'd been so busy with Thanksgiving and only put about 2 hours of time into those 3 blocks. The most time consuming part has been the cutting of the pieces!

I have a box of baby clothes from my 3 kids saved to make into a quilt later on. I think it's a great idea!

8. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck... just remember the blocks should be square all the way around and you sew a quarter inch seam... I would do something really easy that says for beginners or you may get overwhelmed... let us know how you are doing...

9. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Gosh I really hope its as easy as it "reads" - you know those strip patterns LOOK easy enough but....its always those easy ones that get ya! [​IMG] A simple 9 block is what I'm going to try to do - with stitching the ditch and throwing on a flannel backing (lord I sound like I'm a pro dont I? HA HA! Yeah...riiiiggggggghtttt [​IMG]) More like fabric tack and sticky back...press-n-iron is more my style! [​IMG]

I'll attempt it though...now I'm terrified I'm going to cut off my finger with a rotary cutter after reading that someone else did!

Figure I'm going to just cut all the strips first, just all different ones, then I'll decide what pieces to put together later for color choices. The rotary tool I bought can cut through 12 pieces of fabric at once (yeah, even more terrified now!) so I'm going to cut lots at the same time...(right? isnt that right quilters?? can I do that?)

So - what fabric goes together well? These are suits and ties mainly, but there are also jeans and dress shirts (from the suits) as well as Tshirts...- can I put just all different ones together and it wont' matter? Dad had alot of silk ties so I'm a bit worried about those, I collect quilts (antique ones) so I know that silk detiorates over time (mainly from back then though it was from dyes used) - a concern now or no?

And which way to I cut the fabric? Like if the lines are running horizonal or vertical - which way would I cut it? I know you "pull" the fabric (thats the bias right?) and I dont want to sew a certain way or cut it against the way it runs...so can someone explain it for me in laymans terms?

THANK YOU!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Why not do a "practice" quilt first? I'm assuming your dad has passed on and his clothes are very sentimental items? JMHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by