Fingers staying away from eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loupan, Dec 17, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Well im onto day 4 now and my fingers have been no where near those eggs temps not going below 100 even at night and humidity staying between 40-45% (wanted to do dry hatch but have a few porous eggs), only go in for 5 secs to tilt egg carton , i have learnt so much from the last disasterous hatch ,KEEP THE LID CLOSED AND FINGERS OUT [​IMG] [​IMG] .Cant wait to do that first candle though to see if everything is doing good ,i realy realy hope so [​IMG] dont think there is much more i can do but wait and stay out of the bator [​IMG] ,if there is anything else i could do please advise me this is my 2nd attempt they are due the day after my bday so what a gift that would be [​IMG]

2. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I think, why candle. You are not a commercial producer who can't afford to have non-productive eggs in the bator, some candle to replace bad eggs with new ones to always be using the maximum space in their bator, while others candle purely out of curiosity. It is in no way a necessity and can't possibly be good for the eggs(I'm not saying that it's bad though) so If you want to be completely safe, why not just hold off on the candling until, if it happens, the eggs are past their "duedate" although I hope that doesn't happen to you again. It's just to be safe, hope you have a good hatch this time around. what breed you hatching?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Oh my! No way could I go through a hatch without candling at least 3 times. Mostly out of curiosity and encouragement.

4. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    I got polish eggs in the bator i have to say it is fascinating seeing what is in there my girls love seeing the baby swimming round but i defo wont be candling as much i think the less i disturb them the better [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

HA! I have gone entire hatches without candling ONCE.

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I candle once about day 10 or 12. If good I don't take them off the turners till lockdown. I will even give them up to 5 extra days to hatch if they came to me by mail. It is hard not to check on them or open it as soon as one hatches. But you put the others in jeapody of shrink wrapping opening so much after lockdown. I have learned to leave the hatched chick in the bator as long as 6-8 hours. The get fully dry and just rest. My very first batch I pulled out every chick about 30 minutes after hatching and I think I shrank wrapped about the last six and lost them. When I opened them they were fully developed so I am sure it was fault for opening it toooooooo much. Good luck and we hope to see pics! [​IMG]

7. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Quote:Mean broody, eh?

[​IMG]

edited cuz i can't spel today

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Quote:I love how smugly my brain reads this.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have too, but I usually candle on day 10 and when I set the eggs for hatching on day 18.

10. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    So lockdown aside, what happens if you candle too much? I hear conflicting opinions... some say it's ok to candle once a day as the mother hen has to get off her eggs at least once a day to... eat, I guess. Then I hear people talk about disasters. What are the disasters? Are you sure they are related to candling (well, really the short temperature dip after candling)? I'm just curious. I have about 20 or so eggs in the bator now. I candle once a day. My bators keep the temp stable when I'm not around and they get the temp back up pretty quick after I candle. I don't stay in long, don't take the lid all the way off and the temp doesn't ever go below 95 and even then only for a few minutes before it's back up to 99-100. It looks like the babies are doing fine, lots of veins and actively moving around. I don't keep them out more than a few seconds each and I don't candle all of them every day. Just making my way around to see who's ok and who's not doing anything. It's Day 9 and I just took out a couple clear eggs.

Just curious about this candling thing... is it a little bit of superstition? Or should I be worried?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by