Finicky chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EnonChickenDaddy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. EnonChickenDaddy

EnonChickenDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Chester, VA
    My 11 week old girls don't seem to want anything I offer them except grapes...which they love!!! Will this change as they get older? I read here that chickens will eat anthing, but mine seem to be the exception. I've tried the following:
    Apples
    Bananas
    Blue berries
    Cantalope
    Watermellon
    Corn
    Lettuce
    Bread
    Crackers
    Tomatoes (they will eat those half heartedly)
    Cucumbers

I've read they like cooked eggs, yogert and chicken meat, but I havn't tried those yet.
    Will they grow into liking these things , or do i just need to keep trying different things?

2. BlueEggs4Life

BlueEggs4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    Mine can be finicky too... but they did get better at eating more with age. Mine love watermelon, breads, corn, grapes, some greens (def not lettuce, beans or celery), left over mac n cheese, tomatoes. If I throw in a bunch of goodies at once they go for the bread first.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sometimes it takes awhile. They may be afraid of something new. If you leave it in with them for a little while and they find that it doesn't attack them, they may try it.
    I always find it funny to read about finicky chickens. Mine will eat anything.

4. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Ours love strawberries, spaghetti, cornbread dressing and several of the things on your list(watermelon and cucumbers). They don't care for lettuce, cabbage or celery.

5. EnonChickenDaddy

EnonChickenDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Chester, VA
    I just found out that mine do like uncooked oatmeal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by