Finished coop and my little chickens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by allieloveschickens, Jun 16, 2010.

1. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I finally finished by chicken coop!
    Hope you all like it! I really appreciated all the great coop designs on this site, it was very helpful having other designs to work off of. I'm no carpenter but I think it turned out pretty well [​IMG] Here are some pictures of the process, and the final product (and some pics of my girls because they are adorable!)

My wonderful construction crew, my bf and a couple good friends- started with one side:

[​IMG]

The frame almost complete:

[​IMG]

done for the day.

[​IMG]

The coop stained and in the ground, it is right next to our little garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finished coop! After a MONTH! geez.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

inside the coop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pretty girls!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My goals for the coop were to create a safe, well ventilated home for my chickens. It gets very very hot here in San Diego so lots of air flow was key. We also have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, opossums, feral cats, (my own cat! such a naughty kitty) so I wanted it to be very secure. I used welded wire on the run, it is buried a 14 inches deep, and I am currently putting pavers around the coop to further deter any digging. The coop has hardware cloth ventilation windows. There is one acrylic window facing out that we made for free, and on the left wall inside the run is a nice glass window I got at a used construction materials lot. Over all this coop has cost me probably $425-$450 give or take (sorry I haven't been keeping very good track!) it was pricey but worth it! I wish I could have found more used materials- but no such luck. Thanks for looking! let me know if you have any questions.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Nice coop [​IMG]

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Great job! [​IMG] You might want to consider adding quarter or half inch hardware cloth around the bottom 2 to 3 feet of the coop, especially if you already know that you have predators. Raccoons, for one, will reach through openings as large as the ones on your run and grab a chicken's head. The result is devastating as you can imagine. Good luck with your chooks!

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    That is definitely an addition I need to make, the chicks are only out during the day, but you just never know! Hopefully I will get the hardware cloth on this weekend- I need to go out and buy more.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

5. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    Very impressive! [​IMG]

6. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    awww, its like a sunny spa!! very open & happy coop, I love it!!

7. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    They look so happy!

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    GREAT JOB!!! I especially like the fact that it is so light inside. Chickens can't see in the dark so I have always felt the more light the better. Welcome to this addiction. [​IMG]

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Your chickens have a happy, sweet look- they approve!!!! Good job- I like how light and airy it all looks.

10. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Great Job! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by