Finished coop for Rodney the Rooster

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Donny, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Donny

Donny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've been posting in my other thread in the breed section. thought i'd start one here for those of you who might not venture that way =P

just finished my coop and run for a rooster that's been in my yard for a month now.
    it's set up with food in it and water, and bedding. i made a trail of scratch to the open door then a bunch more inside.
    I plan on getting him two hens soon.

i tried to get him to come out and see if he'd come closer and go where i threw food. he's been doing that the last couple days. but not today. maybe it's too close to sundown (5pm) or he's just not hungry.

i got impatient and walked into his roost area to get him out. he came out. i decided i was going to try to chase him into the run. bad idea. he freak and ran and found out he can easily jump a 4 foot chain link fence. he flew into the neighbors yard freaking them out (old spanish lady) and their tiny dog chased it the it leaped the fence area behind my shed and i think he's in there now under it. where he's been sleeping away from cats. so i guess he does feel like my yard is his teritory or something since he went right back there.

so lesson learned! let him go in there by himself and catch him on the off chance. or find some hens faster and put them in there on a tether.

hope he's not all afraid of me now =/

here's two pics of the coop/run

human view:
    [​IMG]

Rooster view:
    [​IMG]

uploading a video also. i'll post it when it's finished. [​IMG]

anyway, uploading pics and a video. as soon as that's done i'll post them here [​IMG]

oh yeah and he's the roo:
    CLICK PICTURE FOR VIDEO

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Very nice coop. I am sure your Mr. Roo will get used to it soon. Nice job!!

3. Donny

Donny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    here's the video as promised [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Very well done video! Nice coop and handsome roo! What if you waited until after dark and tried to move him into the coop? I've read here of others that do that to their hens. Chickens evidently do not have good night vision. Might be worth a try.

5. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Wait till dark and you can just ease him right out of the tree.
    Unless he is so high up you cant reach.,

6. flchickenlady

flchickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Excellent coop! You'll catch the roo, just be patient.

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    nice coop and nice rooster.how come he has no friends?

8. Donny

Donny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i would try the night catch thing but he seems to be sleeping UNDER the shed i'm guessing to stay away from cats.

he has no friends now but will very soon!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Donny, your coop is too cute! Really nice job.

Keep us updated. I can't wait to hear how you get Rodney in there. He's a lucky roo, to have found a person who cares so much about him.

10. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I LOVE the coop!! "Hot Rod" is going to be one happy Rooster when he gets the ladies and figures out thats HIS home. Keep everyone updated.....I want to see how this story ends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by