Finished Coop - Phase 1

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JReedy72, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    Hey all,
    My girls are now 5 weeks looking great. I completed phase 1 of my coop yesterday after badly spraining my ankle half way through the day's work. (my camera is broken, so no pics yet.) It is two story - 4' x 4'. The top is the enclosed coop with a perch and so forth. No nesting boxes yet. I have a whole in the floor with a ladder going down to the ground. That 4'x4' area is wired in. I also have a door to both parts. It is getting warmer here, but I put in the warming light just to make sure they are warm. I put them out last night after finishing, and checked on them this morning, and they seemed happy. I have the whole to the floor covered for now. I had put them in the lower part and they did not figure the ladder out, so I shut them in the top part thinking that they may go down in the night and get stuck. I think I will leave them in the top part for the next week except for occassional "outings." I have to keep them cooped due to city ordnance. I will, in the next couple weeks, complete the 4'x 8' run and attach it to the side. I have 6 Rhode Island Reds, and m new to this who chicken business.

Oh, and I started using a water bottle (made for guinea pigs), and it has worked GREAT - no more poopy water!! I had to make a frame for some wire so I could mount it in the coop.

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas??

Thanks,

Jason [​IMG]

2. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    it is always exciting to finish a project! I've been wondering about the water bottle idea - did you have to show them it a lot, or did they just get it?

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am waiting to see some pictures, I love looking at chicken's coops.

Omran

4. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    Hey! The bottle was easy. They figured out really quick by themselves. They got urious and packed at it, and suddenly realized that it was water!!

Jason

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by