Finished coop up and running!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reddog1970, Jul 9, 2011.

1. reddog1970

reddog1970 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Cape Cod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. okhippie

okhippie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    REALLY nice! Did you bury some hardware cloth around the edges? We are going to get that done at our place ASAP, something was trying to dig at the edge to get into the run. But your run is way more secure overall than ours, thanks for the ideas!

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Golly that's pretty! Excellent work! How many hens will you have in there? And what are the dimensions? It looks great!! [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Very nice! [​IMG]

I noticed your covered half your run and not the entire thing--is that due to your weather in Cape Code? My mind escapes me as to your weather even though I've been there an eon ago (I lived in NYC for the first 21 years of my life) [​IMG]

Excellent run for your girls! How many do you have and what breeds?

5. Urbanchickenranchers

Urbanchickenranchers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Rochester, MN
    Very nice! And thanks for the pics...I am able to use some of your ideas for the coop we are building!

6. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    That looks really nice! I am also looking for new ideas for a coop. Is yours easy to clean out?

7. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    It is very nice!

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Nicely done. Love it. [​IMG]. Enjoy, have fun and:welcome

9. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Very nice, love it!

10. reddog1970

reddog1970 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Ok, here goes. Hopefully I answer everything here. The coop is 4 x 6. 4' high in the front and 3' high in the back. It is very easy to clean. Vinyl floor and big doors in the back. The run is 5'x16'. I did not bury the hardware cloth, instead I brought it down to grade and out 12" from the bottom of the run and put 4"x8"x16" solid concrete block all the way around including under the coop itself. The ground around it is very difficult to dig with lots of rocks and roots, so i'm hoping that also discorages critters. We have 6 hens, 4 of which are living in the coop now. 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Barred Rocks. 2 Rhode Island Reds aren't quite big enough but will join them shortly. As for only covering half, we just figured we would give them a little shade in half the run in the summer and hopefully cut down on snow a bit in winter. Cape Cod can have winters with no snow and just cold rain or blizzards....it is a toss up. Thanks for all the compliments. It was a lot of fun to build. I put 2 months into it. Mostly evenings and weekends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by