Finished coop yesterday..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by petejd, Sep 25, 2011.

1. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Hello all..I finished my coop yesterday. Now the question is, what type of chickens to get? Looking for unique egg layers. I live on the coast of South Carolina(15 minutes from Savannah Ga). Any suggestions. Looking forward your ideas.

2. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hey There petejd! [​IMG]

Have you done the chicken selector tool on the breed home page? Even if you don't like what it comes up with - the questions are good. What is it that you want form your chickens? Asking this site which are best is kind of like going to a dog website and asking which breed is awesome...[​IMG] Be warned new friend...chickens are highly addictive!! I'm new to the chicken world my self and am still astounded by the variety out there!!!! You're in for an awesome adventure!!
    Oh - the size of your coop and run or free range area will be a huge factor as well.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  3. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    I have done the chicken selector. I am just overwhelmed by the choices. The coop size with run is 4' x 10'. I can free range them, but a million questions about safety for the flock. Looking for "pets" more than anything..

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I love my Naked Necks. They lay well and are very gentle and social birds. Barred Rocks are great layers and friendly. Cant really tell you which are the best as I have over 15 different breeds of chickens. I like variety.

7. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you here. Congrats on the coop. Don't believe all of those stories about addiction. We went to auction today and only picked up a "few" things. (How can you turn down Silkies?)

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Easter Eggers are my favorites out of our good egg layers. They're beautiful and friendly birds, and best of all, they lay even more beautiful eggs. Silkies are another breed that make great pets. Not so good with egg production, though, because they're extremely broody (four out of six of our Silkie hens are broody right now). There are just so many different breeds out there to choose from.

10. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by