Finished edge on hardware cloth?

SunnyAlberta

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Canada - Garden Zone 3
I am extending the run on my coop. For now the girls have a covered run under the coop, but its not big enough. What I'd like to do is cut a hole in the hardware wire on the existing run so they may walk through into the extension. How do I finish the cut hardware cloth so the girls don't get caught on it? I thought about literally framing each side with a picture frame; Is 10x14" a good sized door for a Buff Orpington, my largest hen?
hmm.png
Any other ideas on a simple trim? Besides duct tape, that is?
big_smile.png

I think your original idea but instead using 2 pieces of wood screwed together with the hardware wire sandwiched inbetween is a good one.

I can't help you so far as size goes, but I can think of several solutions to finishing the harddware cloth. You could frame it out like you mentioned, or you could just fold the cut edges over on themselves and use pliers to crimp the fold (hope that makes sense). Or you could just cut the wire as close as possible to the next perpendicular wire, then file down the sharp edges. That's what I did on my coop when I needed a finished edge and it worked great.

I agree with Eggsoteric. That should do just fine to conceal the hardware wire. As for the size of the hole, I would say 12x14 if you can manage. I have two BOs myself any they are pretty fluffy chickens
tongue.png

There is a certain hardware cloth that is woven to have a finished edge. I believe this edge is called a "selvedged" edge or a "salvadged" edge wire cloth or wire mesh....

I have seen a few things about this in the past, but as of right now, I do not see it for sale on my usual wire cloth site at

www.mcmaster.com

I am going to give a call to a wire cloth manufacturer later today. I believe this edge lends itself to no sharp or loose wires at the end of the material and instead just a rounded off type of look for the last wire. This leaves no sharp edge and potential for accidents.

I am going to call here and ask them:

http://www.bwire.com/

Won't the chickens try to chew the duct tape? Also, at least in my climate (Chicago area) duct tape breaks down outdoors after a year or two.

I used small snips and when I cut the hardware cloth I cut the wires close to one edge, so there are no points sticking out.
Then I carefully trim all those 1/2" wires off the next piece, keeping a magnet sweeper near by so I can pick them up and not have them laying around.

You can also just nail a trim strip over all the edges, if you are attaching the hardware cloth to a wood surface (like a window frame).

Just drive some 2x4's in the ground & sandwich ths wire to the 2x's with 1x4 just like a picture frame I'd make the whole around three foot x three foot.. You could also add the extended run which will be attached to the inital run & then just cut the back off the old run.

Back
Top Bottom